Need stone and tips for a drystack wall.

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Vincent S., Apr 15, 2008.

1. Vincent S.

Vincent S. LawnSite Member

Hey guys, i am a total newbie at landscaping but i am very very handy so i think me and a partner or partners can pull it off. Im want to do a 3 ft high, base 3ft and the top 2ft, 100ft long of drystack stone. Any vendors or reccomendation to get the stone would be awesome. Im located in bronx ny. Anything that has the best price would be awesome.

Now installation. What am i looking at while installing this wall. Is there any tricks on how the wall stays in place? or is there a technique on how to do it? How long do you think it should take, how many people are reccomended for this wall? Thanks alot guys Hoping for a fast response

2. amscapes03

amscapes03 LawnSite Senior Member

Vincent
    Hope you don't take offense but when i see "total newbie", "can pull it off" and 3' high dry stack wall in the first two sentences my recommendation is to pass on the job.

3. Vincent S.

Well im new to landscaping in general, but very handy. Any help?

back up.

4. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

Sub it out. It won't look good if you do it yourself. Drystack is an art not something that people are "Handy" at doing. sorry.

5. PatriotLandscape

from MA

Did you sign a contract with someone for it? what did you charge?
    is it double sided?

6. Vincent S.

didnt sign anything. So how much should that job run me then? I was honeslty considering giving it a shot, i have the diy and it didnt look that bad... Any reccomended vendors for the stone? Any good installers around the ny area?? Any help would be appreciated.

7. roknh20

roknh20 LawnSite Member

Vincent, here in Oklahoma alot of installers use a stone that is chopped 8" wide and is about 4"-6" thick. It can easily be drystacked by a beginner. If you're using a stone like that. You can do a good packed screening base, then begin putting your rock on it. The rock is usually palletized with all one thickness. You could even lay a string so you can keep it level. All retaining walls should batter back into what they are retaining. So with each course you'd want to batter back a 1/4" or an inch or so. I figure you'll need about 12.5 tons of something like this. The old "Drystack" walls that were done with very irregular rock are alot harder. They were built using deadmen or bigger and longer pieces that go back into the wall. The usually end up being about 12-14 inches thick. You really need a footing for those also.
    Here's a couple of examples
    Hopefully you could find something like this in your area.

4x8ChoppedSandstone.gif

101.jpg

8. PatriotLandscape

from MA

Assuming it is single sided a natural fieldstone wall of that size would be between 25k and 37k depending on the layout.

9. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

:cry:OK stack is whack,like crack!Waller's don't stack we lay stone,you stack swr and pallets,please dry laid.:cry:

10. Vincent S.