1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need straight answer by afternoon

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by soloscaperman, Jun 10, 2008.

1. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

Im going to change the oil in my mower. I got 6 large accounts in 3 days. Should I put mobil 1 syn 10-30 in my 2003 48 15 HP kawa motor?? Mower runs for about an hour to two hours straight each lawn in the hot heat. In 95+ heat should I use syn??

I vouch for mobil 1 one used it in my bikes, sports car and my truck.
    I need a bigger mower LOL. You guys were right that I was gonna out grow my mower and trailer 3 months ago. Have 16 accounts in one year!! Just that I know oil breaks down at certain temps and since im getting more accounts and the temps are rising should I be worried. Most of my lawn are on the same straight route so the equipment doesn't cool down.
  2. C&K

C&K LawnSite Senior Member
    from East TN

We use 10-30 mobile one.
  3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I use Mobil 1 since it only takes 2 quarts. If a mower held something like 5 or more, I'd probably use conventional oil. I don't think that particular heat range would be a big concern for conventional oil.

Since I use synthetic, I change every 100 hours. I'd probably go every 50 if I used conventional oil.
  4. bare31

bare31 LawnSite Member

mobil1 is great and easy to get, but amsoil makes an oil just for air cooled 4 stroke engines thats better.
  5. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

6. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Still better, use Opti-4.

7. siclmn

siclmn LawnSite Senior Member

I use dino 10-40 in my Honda Element, my BMW motorcycle, and all my lawnmower engines. Always have, always will. Clean oil and air filters are much more important then what kind of oil.
  8. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

Rotella 15-40
  9. Hawg City Lawns

Hawg City Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

royal purple 10w-30 little expensive at $6 a quart but well worth it
  10. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, you can, just expect to pay for it.

Mobil-1 actually runs cooler in an air-cooled engine. (I measued it with a thermometer on a Fluke meter. IIRC, it was 90 degrees plus that day, and the difference in engine block temp was 20 degrees.)