need string trimmer, what is important?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sailinstud420, Apr 15, 2005.

1. sailinstud420

sailinstud420 LawnSite Senior Member

Alright guys, here is the deal, I need a string trimmer by monday and I have not really had the time to do the research. What do you recommend? Is a steel shaft absolutely necessary? I have an echo pe-230 edger that I am fairly pleased with, and that just has the cable drive, and I haven't had any problems yet. I want something good, because this is a tool that I use every day, probably more than my mower, lol. I also have no idea on price range.. I want to spend no more than 300, and if I can do one for 250 or so that would be even better. Please don't just get on here and say, "get this one, this is what I have and it is the best because I said so!" I want practical reasons why to get this specific trimmer. ALso, I tend to think the my pe230 is a hair underpowered, is this true for string trimmers too? I am thinking the minimum cc's i want is at least 25 or so, what are your thoughts on that?

So here is a list of possible competitors (I don't want a four stroke either).... If you could give me rough guesstamations on prices that would be sweet!!! Also, I want something considered commercial duty, if any these are not up to the task don't be afraid to say it. Who has the nicest/most durable tap head? Can you swap heads between most of these trimmers?

Echo SRM 260
    Redmax BC250?
    Redmax BCZ400s
    Redmax BCZ500s
    Stihl FS80
    Shindaiwa T230
    Shindaiwa T260

Let me know boys, thanks.

2. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

Okay here's your answer:
    Price + after sales service = Value for money
    Get yourself a dealer nearby that will give an excellent aftersales service and I dont care what product you buy - you got yourself an excellent product!
    I have an Echo srm260 - great product but my dealer is 40 miles away. It's a pain. I also have a John Deere pro series (cant remember the model name)trimmer and also a JD backpack blower, maybe not the best on the market but my local dealer's support is so great that I, in future, dont intend to buy anything else or different.
    Hope this helps
    PC

3. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

I agree with this guy ^ in part. Ddealer support is very important but what you want to do is avoid ever needing his help in the first place right? Had several echo products in the past and al worked well. Occasional carb problem with one that never really found a good explnation for. All the trimmers you listed seem good to me. Find the one that feels the most balanced to you I guess and go from there. All personal preference really. What I like you may not. As for the weight of the solid shaft who will be using the trimmer? Just you or an employee that won't take care of the machine as good as you would?

4. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

The Echo SRM261T (T is for "high torque") or the Redmax BCZ2600S are both right at your price.

They are both state-of-the-art in 2 cycle technology, in that they meet the most stringent EPA regs, no other 2 cycle brands do that. The Redmax may get better fuel economy.

Weight is a factor if you use it as much as you say. Run them both, even if you don't actually trim with them. Move them side to side and up and down while they are running. You'll develop a preference for one over the other - get that one!

Dealer is a consideration, but I'd be disappointed if either had to go to the dealer for (warranty) work; there is nothing about them that you can't service yourself as far as maintenance, so....

5. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

Actually, other 2-cycle brands meet EPA Phase 2 and C.A.R.B. Tier II regs. Tanaka is one of those brands. Check out the Tanaka TBC-2500.

24cc, 1.2 h.p. Two-stroke Engine

10.8 lbs. (with 5" semi-auto head)

Sug Retail - $279.99

Check out what others say about Tanaka in the Tanaka lawnsite.com forum:

http://www.lawnsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104

6. green814

green814 LawnSite Member

I have a Shindaiwa t230. I have been happy w/ the performance. It is not the biggest motor, but if you don't cut a lot of deep grass/brush very often you should be fine. I have cut some deep grass & it did ok in my opinion. I don't know if the newer model t231 is the same in performance though. Good luck & let us know what you get.
    Chris

7. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Mark, glad to hear your brand does. How do you meet compliance regs, do you use a catalytic converter? Do you now have carb/lean burn problems? Are your engines able to attain a smooth, strong power curve ?

I have not researched Tanaka, but have looked at most major brands.

Catalytic converters are unacceptable solutions, in my view.

Thanks

8. gator007

gator007 LawnSite Member

I have been trimming for a long time, and the most important thing is it starts on the first or second pull. I have had good luck with shindaiwas and echos, but to tell you the truth, I am going to get me a nice 4 cycle shindaiwa. After eating oil from the two strokes for so many years, 4 strokes may be the way to go. whatever it is, it should be less than 10 pounds if you trim alot, and have a straight shaft.

9. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

Like ECHO, Tanaka's PureFire 2-stroke, the first to certify to C.A.R.B Tier II, utilizes a catalytic converter. As time goes on, all Tanaka products will feature PureFire 2-strokes.

Be sure to check back to the forum, the TBC-245PF (PureFire 24cc trimmer) is currently being field tested.

-MW

10. Spirit Lanwcare

Spirit Lanwcare LawnSite Member

Get the Echo SRM-260 or possibly the RedMax 2500. Go with whatever your best closest dealer sells. Stick with what you know!

Tanaka makes some decent products but there are no good dealers around anymore and parts support has been very bad over the years.