Need suggestion on walk behind.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green Up, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Green Up

Green Up LawnSite Member

I am considering buying a walk behind to help speed up on my residentical yards. I also would like to know if they work well on slopes. I have 2 48" Scags and love them, but I really need something that I can use on slopes. Any suggestion would be appreciated. I am going to get a demo model tomorrow to try. You know how those salemen are. They willl try to sell a blind man glasses. Thanks.

2. ixlr8

ixlr8 LawnSite Member

I have an 8 year old 48" Husqvarna WB, belt drive, I originally got it due to the fact that sections of my yard were soo steep that no rider would handle it. The angle is steeper than what Kawasaki says is the max angle to operate the motor. :eek: Used it for 6 years there, until the EX got the house :( , no issues with the mower/motor, still runs great. Based on where I have used the WB, if you can walk it... the WB can mow it. :D

3. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

am i missing something here. he says he has 2 scags r those riders and not walks? A hydro walk will go lots of places other mowers wont and some places is shouldnt go

4. Green Up

Green Up LawnSite Member

Yes, I have 2 48" Tiger Cub ride on mowers. I have 38 yards to keep up and also work at a paper mill. I spend about 70-80 hours a week working. Some of my contracts have some hill with a pretty good slope. My ride on Scags seem to fishtail while riding the hills. I am looking for some thing that will stay on the hillsides better. I am sold on Scag bc they will stay together and last for ebery if maintained properly. What is your suggestiion for this issue?
    Thanks

5. KCfireman

KCfireman LawnSite Bronze Member

try looking at an Encore. Are you demoing a Scag WB?

6. Green Up

Green Up LawnSite Member

Yes, the Scag dealer is going to bring the Scag walk behind to m. He is going to let me demo it for a week or so. I was needing you alls input on a hdor walk behind. I have never owned one. I have only owned ride on z mowers. Thanks.

7. LAExmark1

LAExmark1 LawnSite Member

yea man, we got an exmark 60" walk, and that thing will go on some preeeetty steep slopes, also nice if you have some lawns like ours where for w/e reason its like mud soup after heavy rains, or even no rain, damn sprinklers....the walk will often go over it no prob where the rider sinks.

8. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

Get your self a scag V pro hydro. They look like really great mowers. Like said above if you can walk it a walkbehind can mow it. :) The only thing is I would recommend a hydro for the really steep stuff. I feel they work best on hills.

9. ixlr8

ixlr8 LawnSite Member

Having wrestled with my belt drive WB as long as I have... I would recommend the hydro... let the mower do the work. Belt drives don't backup under their own power very well. Just keep in mind... with a hydro, what you tell it to do... it will do, so be careful until you learn it. When I bought my WB, it was my first, the dealer would not sell me a hydro since I had never used a WB before. He was too afraid of me getting hurt from inexperiance.

10. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

For gear drives, go with a Pro Steer Gravely. Hydros, go with Scag Pro-V. A big investment, but they're Simply the Best hydro walk behinds. Scags' gear drives are nice, but only come with pistol grips. :weightlifter: