1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

need suggestions by 8-17-02

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AielLandscaping, Aug 15, 2002.

1. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

one of my customers has a basement with a window. the window is below surface level and is surrounded by cement. (man i hope i can explain this..) i guess the best way i can explain it would be picture looking inside an empty box. the box would be about 3 feet deep, 1.5 feet wide, and 3 feet long. ok so one of the sides is a window, and the other 3 sides are cement. there is not supposed to be any dirt inside this opening, but over time dirt has crept it's way in and now there is a palm tree growing up inside. the base of the palm tree is about 2 inches or more in diameter and i can not pull it out by hand. i can't get a truck back to this area, and even if i could i think i would tear up the the cement pulling with a chain. i don't have a skid, so i can't lift it straight out that way either. this opening is too tight a fit to use a saw, and the window won't open either.... i'm at a loss...:dizzy:
  2. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

cut it down above the (parapit) drill some holes in it get some of gemplers stump killer / makes it decay fast and just shovel it out in the spring
  3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Can you get a Compact tractor back there with a 3 pt hitch. If you can wrap a chain around the base of the tree and let the 3 pt yank the tree straight up. You can reposition the chain and yank it til its out.
    Thats my idea.
    Good Luck.
  4. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Do exactly what sbvfd592 said.

Throw anything you can into those drilled holes, and it will die soon enough. Definately DO NOT under any cirumstances pull that thing with a chain!!!
    I hooked my truck to some vines that were creeping up and over the side of an old house and I darn near pulled the hole chimney down.
    You dont want to use your insurance policy do you?

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You say you can't get a chain saw in there eh? Try a Sawz-all.
  6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Like the others said, I would kill it using stump killer. If you are insisted on pulling it up, this might sound like a stupid idea, but would a chain and a 3 ton car jack work?

Good luck
  7. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Yea, what Matt said, I think what he means is those tall jacks that used to come in cars, not the cissor jacks or a hydraulic floor jack. It's a tall thing that uses a ratchet action. Or you could use a Porta-Power, which is kinda the same idea, it has a hydraulic pump you pump with a lever and has hose that hooks upto a cylinder power head and you can put different attachments on this. I guess these jacks would probably just sink into the ground even if you had a board/brick, whatever under them. If you wanna pull it your best route is as mentioned, tractor 3 point hitch, or loader attachment, or rent/borrow a skidsteer. I don't know whats the load capacity of a snowplow but you might be able to use your plow's lift on your truck to yank that sucker out too I don't know. Of course if you pull it, you might have a problem if it's roots have entangled into the window, window-sill, basement or anything else like that? :confused:
    Good luck,
  8. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Pair of gloves and a hack saw blade!
  9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

10. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

thanks for the ideas guys, i did cut this down once before, but i had to have a friend hold me upside down by my ankles so i could get at it with a tiny pruning saw. every swipe i'd take with the saw, i'd get to bang my hand on cement. :realmad: i was thinking along the lines of a jack too, but all i have is a floor jack.