1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need suggestions on a special application

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by fshrdan, Feb 10, 2010.

1. fshrdan

fshrdan LawnSite Member

Hey guys. I think this is my 1st time posting to this board. Seems to be alot of knowledge here, so maybe you can help me out.

I'm trying to light an outdoor masonry fireplace. About 2 feet above the top of the alcove is a solid stone mantle. I plan on lighting the portion above the mantle with 2 micro bullets on each corner pointing toward the chimney. But I'd like to mount a light below the mantle angled directly down to illuminate the rock work around the alcove and the hearth below. (Fires are rarely built in this). This fixture needs to be inconspicuous, but cannot be recessed for obvious reasons. From what I've seen, the Hadco LLL is the best fixture for the job, but I haven't found any similar fixtures. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks for reading. I look forward to any advice.
  2. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

I am having some trouble wrapping my head around what this thing looks like. Do you have any pics or drawings of it. What is surrounding it? pavers? concrete? There may be some other ways of lighting this thing you may not have thought of, but some pics of the fireplace and surrounding area would definitely help in the process.
  3. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

4. klkanders

klkanders LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Like Tim said pictures would be very helpful if possible. The Hadco fixture you mentioned is not the only one out there of that type. Unique (Vanguard), Vista (4260 Rail Light), Cast (Wall Light). They come in a variety of finishes and sizes. Take a look and see what might work best for you. Hope this helps!
  5. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

If at all possible I encourage you to "See the effect, not the source".

Is the fireplace you are working on similar to the one in these photos?

Outdoor Fireplace -3.jpg

Outdoor Fireplace -4.jpg

Outdoor Fireplace - 4.jpg
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  6. klkanders

from Midwest

Dang Joey you beat me to my plug for you! :)
  7. klkanders

from Midwest

Is this fireplace like the one in my photo?

Yes James that is your photo! :)
  8. trailboss

trailboss LawnSite Member

James, What fixture did you use here? How far are they from the hearth? Do they catch you in the face when you are standing in front of the fireplace?
    We are finishing an outdoor kitchen right now that doesnt have a structure or pergola overhead. I wish that I would have installed some lights into the flagstone but I didnt. We installed the Vista 4263 copper step lights under the granite bar top - which will help - but I am still trying to get as much light onto the area as I can. Seems like people are doing more and more outdoor kitchens, fireplaces and pizza ovens out in the open like this.
    Thanks for the info.

9. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Personally i think that is way to bright and hot on that light colored stone. Maybe its the photo but thats way to white to compliment the fire. I am doing a fire place now and I am choosing to go with either an incandesant lamp or adding some lenses to warm the color up.
  10. fshrdan

fshrdan LawnSite Member

Thanks for the responses. I'll check out those other lights. I've never used Unique, so I'll have to find a supplier around here for prices.

I don't have a pic of the fireplace I'm working with, but the fireplace is similar in layout to the one in the photo minus the cordwood bins. Also, it's a stacked natural stone instead of a concrete product.

My main challenge is lighting this thing without any glare. I don't want anyone to get blinded while they're trying to warm their butt, so spotting from the front or front/sides is out. I want subtle, since this is not the focal point at night. The sides of the hearth are slightly illuminated with pathlights adjacent to the patio, so I'm looking to light the chimney above the mantle to show it's height, and a small light under the mantle to show off the top of the hearth and a portion of the alcove.

You guys have been very helpful. Thanks for the input thus far. Also, I'd be interested in your opinions concerning micro spots. I use alot of FX, so my first choice is the FX MP, but unfortunately these arent available in a raw copper finish, so I'm open to other fixtures. I do want a copper finish, and an MR-11 is fine, MR 16 is good too if the fixture is small enough.