Need suggestions on fuel tanks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green Earth, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Green Earth

Green Earth LawnSite Member

I'm wanting to purchase some fuel tanks for one of my trucks for this season. So I can start hauling my own gas and diesel. I have a gas station right down the road but I'm getting tired of the hassle and there prices are always high ! I go through about $10,000 a year in fuel. I went to TSC and looked at 2 diamond plate tanks. I looked at a 110 gallon tank that I would use for gas and a 50 gallon tank I would use for diesel. 2 tanks, pumps, filters for $1800 ;) I can't belive its going to cost that much for tanks ! I really don't want to go with steel tanks, once there scratched they look bad and rust. I'm open for any suggestions you guys might have. Any help would be greatly appreciated ! Maybe you guys know where the deals are. Thanks, Darren

2. JohnGr

JohnGr LawnSite Member

Don't forget you will be taking up space in the bed of the truck, adding weight, DOT laws may apply depending on how much you plan on transporting.
    Just some things to think about.

3. Green Earth

Green Earth LawnSite Member

The two tanks together would take up 33" in the bed which will fit in front of the fender wells. They are going in a dually. They would weight 1200lbs full. The weight is not an issue in a dually. :)

4. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

5. anteater6788

anteater6788 LawnSite Member

I don't think you will be able to carry both tanks in the same truck without hazmat tags. The limit for carrying diesel fuel is around 119 gallons and I believe limit on gas is much lower. I think you would be able to get around those rules by mounting the tanks on a trailer. If you can find a fuel supplier that will deliver to your business you might be better off to buy two storage tanks on stands so you won't need pumps. On our farm we have two 500 gallon and one 300 gallon diesel storage tanks along with two 300 gallon gas tanks as well as a trailer mounted 300 gallon diesel tank and we have another 500 gallon diesel tank and pump which will get mounted on another trailer. By buying bulk fuel at the right time of the year we can save some money and most fuel suppliers will supply you with tanks if you buy enough fuel.

6. What about gettin a 500 gallon tank at your place ?

7. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

Most if the tanks that are made for in bed set ups are for diesel fuel only! Check before you buy! Also the pumps for gas and diesel are different.

8. MOOSE

MOOSE LawnSite Senior Member

Green Earth, I have an L shaped tank in my truck. It works out great. I too bought it at TSC. It saves on going to station everyday. I go to the station every 10 days. I have yet to run into any problems with law enforcment about this tank.

9. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

The fine print at the bottum of the ads states ''for diesel fuel only not approved for gasoline'' Im not saying that you cant do it but just dont get caught doing it. And there are some small tanks 10 gallons or so that are DOT approved for gas. Also there is a product called a Gas caddy that is aprroved for hauling gas, I think it holds approx. 30 gallons

10. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Ok, I researched this a lil farther,
    CAUTION: Tanks meet D.O.T. requirements for Combustible Fuels only. Tanks are not designed for and do not meet D.O.T. requirements for Flammable Fuels. Gasoline is a FLAMMABLE FUEL.
    Diesel is combustible where gasoline is flamable, So if you buy a tank for gasoline it has to be a DOT flammable tank