Need suggetions on a sprinkler system

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by ShawnDH, May 25, 2006.

1. ShawnDH

ShawnDH LawnSite Member

I live in Norcross, GA (metro Atlanta area) and I'm thinking about getting a small sprinkler system installed. I have about 3500 sq ft of grass to cover but I'm not able to cover all of the odd stretches with regular water hoses. I have a 30ft stretch that goes away from the yard and around a curb and a small strip of grass on the opposite side of the drive way that I have to water separate. I have to do an orchestrated sequence in order to water the whole yard and now that the heat is here, it's more important than ever to water correctly. I'm also going on vacation for about 2 weeks and I think my fescue will die if I leave it to the rain to keep it hydrated.

So with all that said, does anyone have suggestions on the kind of system I need and or a good place that will give me a consultation? I'm trying to find out a ball park figure of how much it will cost and how much damage it will do to my lawn to install. Or should I just do the best I can untill the fall and install and replant any damaged grass.

2. MikeA

MikeA LawnSite Member
    from NJ

One suggestion, don't let them do the work after a big rain storm. I had a system installed and it rained the day before. They used a lawn tractor to pull the pipe through the ground but apparently the ground was soft in places because if the rain and it got ripped up pretty good. If not for that, the damage wasn't terrible

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Just call up a local irrigation installer and let them worry about the details. A good installer will design and install a very good system usually at a surprisingly good price. The last system I had installed down here on one of my properties ran about 1300$ that included a well pump, five taps and three zones with all heads and rotors installed. Not to shabby.

4. ShawnDH

ShawnDH LawnSite Member

Sounds good to me. I'll start getting quotes

5. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

Certainly not shabby! I had a quote recently for $5,000, and that did not include a well pump, only a hook-up to my house's water line. I passed on the offer. Would you be willing to share how many sprinkler heads that included and how big your lot is?

6. MikeA

MikeA LawnSite Member
    from NJ

In NJ I paid about $1400. I have 6 zones, about 27 heads(100x150 lot). They tapped it directly into my water line.

7. lawnmaniac883

Larry, I cannot remember off the top of my head how many heads but IIRC there were 3 zones with a mix of rainbird 1800 series sprays and some rotors. Nice system of course I know the installer well and have used him on several properties. Prices are subject to change from region to region, if you think you are getting ripped then take some photos of your property and post them up in the irrigation forum and see what they would charge. All in approximation of course.

8. LarryF

Well, based on your $1,500 number for a 1/3 acre, maybe the 5 grand number I got isn't that far off. I have an acre and it's also in NJ, but on the other hand a lot of it wouldn't need the sprinklers since there's a big driveway, the house & patio and about 6-to-8 thousand sq ft of woods.

Lawnmaniac, that's a good suggestion, an idea I didn't consider at all. Thanks! I'll give it some thought. I had never looked at the irrigation forum, and before I go farther down this path, perhaps I'd benefit by learning more about this topic. That sounds like it would be a good place to start.

9. lawnmaniac883

All areas are different, is your 1acre wide open turf or not? Large rotors could cover a really big area and still be very cost efficient to run and install. Hell, rainbird just came out with rotors that run ^90ft apart.

10. LarryF

I think it's pretty open. Here's the plot plan, and there's a wooded area with no lawn for the last 40 feet on the west side of the lot and also trees with lawn under them on the east side.

plot plan.jpg