Need Sweeper / Dethatcher Help Please

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by slick001, Sep 2, 2004.

1. slick001

slick001 LawnSite Member

I live in Western KY and am planning on overseeding this weekend with a rental powered walk behind that cuts and scrapes the ground, then puts the seed in.
    I have mowed the yard fairly low and now need to immediately get a lawn sweeper, and get the grass up.
    I'm looking at the Sears sweepers and noticed that they have some with dethatchers built in, for not much more money. Is this type of unit beneficial or more problems than it is worth? Should I go with the regular sweeper , or do the dethatcher units do a good job on the sweeper? I will be mowing mostly KY31 type fescue. I am sure a walk behind powered dethatcher would do a much better job, but just wanted to get your opinions and see if you guys have used these. I will probably use the unit just a few times a year mainly for picking up extra grass when it is very thick or I have cut it low.
    Thanks for the replies!

2. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Just get the sweeper.You can lower it enough to actually get the thatch off the ground surface.A power thatcher will actually cut through the soil surface and get the real thatch.A tine thatcher just lifts dead grass clippings from the soil surface.

3. slick001

slick001 LawnSite Member

thanks,
    got the sweeper today, now , just need to assemble!

4. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Oh that's the fun part.Especially when putting the springs in the bagger.