Need the Pros Advice

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Splicer, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

A customer had a leach system installed. Approx 11,000 sq ft total needs seed/straw. Last fall the cust did just this, seed/straw...the results were less than desireable. Enter me. He wants grass to cover the mud. Understandable...Here is a picture. He wants me to fill some of the low spots so water isn't ponding and to reseed.

Should I remove all the old straw (I think I should) then put about 2" topsoil down, then starter fert then seed then straw? What would be recommended for starter fert??? About how much topsoil and straw will be needed? I am figuring the seed @ 8lbs/1000 sq ft.

Also how would you charge something like this? This is my first job of this nature and am unsure of exactly how to go about it. Hey, everyone has to have a first time right?:laugh: Here is a picture of the area:

Copy of Kelley's Lawn Restoration 008.jpg

2. Splicer

Another...

Copy of Kelley's Lawn Restoration 011.jpg

3. Splicer

...bump...

4. Splicer

What? Nobody wants to touch this???

5. Splicer

WOW! I stumped the panel! This has GOT to be a first here!:laugh:

6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Leach system...do you mean an irrigation leach system? Why the hell would anyone do that.

7. Splicer

It is a leach system for a septic tank.

8. old dog 80

old dog 80 LawnSite Member

Wow,that is a lot of water lying there-from septic or rain?Could be a real problem to get seed started if it stays that wet.Make sure of that before seeding

9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Yea Harley rake it out,add about 5 or 6 yards Good topsoil spread and rolled and leveled.Then seed thickly and straw it lightly..be sure the guy will water or all the work will be useless.

10. Splicer

OD80 yes that is from the rain. The few spots that have standing water will be filled and leveled.

SS thanks. I think it was old seed he used originally. They will do what is needed to make this work.

How would you guys charge for this? I need to give the quote to him at church in the morning...