Need time to double cut, but there is no extra time

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Jun 12, 2005.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

My three man crew has a full schedule on Thursdays and Fridays.

Up until two or three weeks ago, everything was pefect. But now that we are nearing the summer solstice, the grass is growing a lot faster. We have a lot more clippings to disperse with the blowers and that takes extra time. We also need to be double cutting a lot of these lawns...maybe not the entire lawn but there are areas where we make one pass with the mower and we are not getting a smooth cut. The lawns really need to be double cut to look their best.

The problem is, the crew is working 14 hours as it is now on Thursdays and Fridays. We are staring the mowers at 7:00am and we finishing up our last lawn after 8:00pm. That is just to do an adequate job of dispersing the clippings. There simply is no time to double cut these lawns. This route can be complete in under 11 hours in April and in September and the lawns will look perfect.

Should I:

a.) Proactively ask customers if they would like a smoother cut we can spend additional time with their cut if they are willing to accept Monday or Tuesday service.

b.) Wait for them to complain and then offer Monday/Tuesday service.

Other?

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

2. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

Are they already paying extra for the Thursday/Friday cut?

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i think you should lower them to $23

4. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

I had this problem last year. I sent out a letter with thier renewal stating we will not be double cutting, bagging, or blowing out any grass clumps next year due to time restraints, grass will be mowed as is or they can schedule twice a week cutting.

5. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

What you Need is Either Better Mowers or Sharper Blades or Different Blades or Better Blade Configurations...

All Things Being Equal I Could Come Down There and Single Cut Your Props and They Would look Like a Finely Manicured Estate Lawn of the Rich and Famous.

6. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

get another crew out!!!! then start to sell enhansemnts and when things slow down do instals or hope you can switch the days

7. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Can't you just move some of them to Wednesday? I don't have a "schedule", per se, I just start Monday, cut like heck until they are all done.

8. JOEWOOD

JOEWOOD LawnSite Member

[​IMG]

DFW Landscaper!
    But I choose Plan B.

Joe... :confused:

9. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Add more workers. Save the overtime thats going the workers now and put it towards another crew. To save money instead, simply skip any upcoming saftey inspections on the new vehicles. You could also try and solicit more work with door hangers even if its against city bylaws, those are just there to keep the other scrubs out, not you.

10. SoloMow

SoloMow LawnSite Member

I have had to double cut only four or five small lawns this month of June. I am not going to ask for more money. It's a business decision on my part. These are the same accounts that are going to pay me the same $25-$35/cut in August when their grass grows about 1/4" per week. I hope I'm wrong, but I sense a big drought coming in our area. :cool: