Need tips for retaining moisture

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by MrC, May 30, 2007.

1. MrC

MrC LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

My backyard tends to get direct sunlight all day. Any water (30 min) I put down in the morning seems to be sucked out. When I get home it seems like I never watered it. The soil is arid and the grass is browning. I've been cutting my lawn (kb, tall fescue, rye) at 3.5" but I'm thinking I may need to go to 4". Should I spread peat moss to retain water? Any tips?

2. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

If the soil is compacted , core aeration is needed - it will allow the soil to accept deeper watering. If you water every day for 30 minutes , you are likely to be causing the roots to go shallow . You need to water at least one inch and do it every three to four days , put a cup or pan out and see how long it takes for your system to do this - it could vary by zone. Definately unnecessary to water every day . Look closely when you irrigate to see if the water is soaking into the soil or just running off the watered area . A heavy mower will cause soil compaction over time , regardless of soil type . Heavy thatch will shed water and impede the effectiveness of your irrigation - just some random thoughts ....

3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

30 minutes isn't much. We typicically go 60 to 90, three times a week. Obviously cutting high and and adding organic matter can only help. More fertilizer than water is a common problem in our area. If you are high maintenance in fertilizer you need to be high maintenance in water. Saturate once and see how long it remains vibrant. Put a pan in the middle somewhere and see how many inches you get per week. 1 inch per week is average. Sandy soils can use more.
    .rick.

4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Simutaneus post. Not intentional to repeat, and great additional points.
    .rick.

5. Focal Point Landscapes

Great minds think alike , maybe. We are in the clutches of a major drought throughout the southeast and water restrictions are getting tighter every week . I water the centipede in my yard once per week , but for at least two hours , which gives me more than an inch . Turf is green , with no dry patches because the roots go deep. I am changing the timers on all of my clients' yards to irrigate no more than twice per week . We may be under a total ban on outdoor water use before this is over , so I want to get the roots as deep as possible asap .

6. MrC

MrC LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

So 30 minutes was not enough. I thought anything past that was way to much. So 60-120 min. is not uncommon? I curious what the average is?

7. Focal Point Landscapes

This will vary significantly , depending on system design - pipe size , nozzle size , water pressure , and a lot of variables . The only way to know how much water your putting out is to catch it in a can or some type of container. It is best to water deeply and less frequently , particularly when it is hot and dry. If you put one inch of water on the turf , the ground should be moist up to six inches deep - turfgrass roots will go even deeper than that.