1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

need tire suggestions for a dodge 2500

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by bkruszka, May 16, 2008.

1. bkruszka

bkruszka LawnSite Member

I have an 06 dodge with the cummins diesel in it. It came stock with B F goodrich rugged trail tires 265/70/R17 on it. They suck. At 25000 miles the tires are almost bald with tire rotations every 5 thousand miles. The traction of them suck to. It seemed like just the sight of wet grass of mud they would spin. Lord hlep you if you had to pull a trailer up a slight grassy incline. I found myslef constantly putting the truck in 4X4. I am looking for tire suggestions. The tire must be E rated since I tow heavy. I was also looking at uping the size to 285?70R17. The local tire dealer is trying to push goodyear silent armor tires on me but I have heard that the have alot of tire roll in the sidewalls on heavy diesel trucks.
    I really need something that is agressive tread and will at least get me 35000 miles out of
  2. charmill26

charmill26 LawnSite Senior Member

bfg all terrains
  3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Cooper Discoverer ATR's

You might check over on plowsite. They had a thread in the pictures forum... tires tires tires, I think was the title. Maybe one of the mods can throw a link up for it.....
  4. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

I live in the South no snow or only light dusting, I ate my OEM Michelin LTX A/S in 30,000 miles. I tow 13,500GTWR regularly with my dodge; I researched my tire options on the factory rims, and came to the conclusion it was cheaper to order a tire & rim package off E-Bay. I am very pleased with the wear of the aftermarket Cooper Zeon LTZ 286/60/18 Extra load tires; While some may say the extra "bling' is not neesssary for a work truck. A nice truck rims & tires have done nothing to decrease our business., and have brought many a conversation, and consequently additional business.
  5. BulldogPS

BulldogPS LawnSite Member

BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A. Great in mud, snow, rain, tough as nails and last forever. They have extra thick side walls so the make the truck handle better. And I beleive they make them in the size you want.
  6. slowleak1

slowleak1 LawnSite Senior Member

BFG's suck.

TOYO Open Country M/T is one of the best tires you can buy, and you will easily get 40k miles out of them. also, rotate every 3k and you will see some better results, especially if you tow alot
  7. gavin478

gavin478 LawnSite Member

I'm trying out Hankook Dynapro RHo3's, rated 3rd by consumer reports, comes as OEM on E350 vans, so definitely heavy duty, and a few users have had them last up to 90k miles (just keep the pressure at the max rated on the tire). I'm putting a set on my truck this week, they may not be as all terrain as you are looking for, but they should handle well, also, i was able to get them on ebay for $87 a tire +$10 mounting per tire.
  8. coobie

coobie LawnSite Member

Make sure to buy a E-rated stock tire that came with your dodge cummins diesel truck.I bought Bridgestone dueler A/T revos as replacment tires for my 2004 dodge 2500 cummins diesel.I have around 38,000- 40,000 miles on them now.Go to this web site and do a search www.tirerack.com :)
  9. copeblk

copeblk LawnSite Member

10. bkruszka

bkruszka LawnSite Member

Still need some ideals. I was thinking about the bF goodrich all terians but worry that they will wear like the bf goodrich rugged trail tires that came from factory. I am thinking i might meed something more in the mud terian category but no they wont last long. I just hate paying 1000 dollars on tires to have to do it again next year and still mnot be satisified with traction.