Need tires for 40-year-old mower

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by LarryF, Apr 8, 2006.

1. powerpro44

powerpro44 LawnSite Member

Thank You for the owners manual!!
    Hopefully the cost of rebuild isn't to crazy, I will have it done anyways,
    Not that I have the money to throw around. My near future plan is to bring it back to factory new. Other than the engine needing rebuilt the rest of the mower is complete and in perfect shape. I know some powder coating companies that would strip it and recoat for next to nothing. It may sound kind of crazy to put money into an old mowerb but there's something about it that apeals to me. Not to mention when it ran it cut the yard with great ease.
    Thanks again for sharing the owners manual, when I'm finished reduing the old Power Pro I'll attach photo.
  2. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm surprised you would want to do that. I bought mine in 1965 and got about 40 years of service from it before I put it in storage, so I'm just hanging on to it for sentimental reasons. I expect that you'll have trouble getting parts for it should they be needed. But good luck anyway. Let me know if I can be of more help.
  3. Phil F

Phil F LawnSite Member

To Larry F
    Phil F not sure how this works but I have a hahn 22" power pro looks like a 3.5 hp briggs it is set up found it on junk day in town picked it up before the scrappers got it. I use to work on them in school have ring sets and carb parts from when I use to work on them. If possible Larry could you send me a copy of the parts list of the mower you said you had. thanks Phil
    Last edited: May 30, 2011
  4. LarryF

Hi Phil.

I don't think I responded to your request for the Hahn-Eclipse manual, but I apologize and here it is now. Sorry about that, but I haven't been looking at the LawnSite stuff for quite a while.

Attached Files:

5. Cedar22

Cedar22 LawnSite Member

I have owned since new (a long time ago!) a Hahn Eclipse 21" self-propelled mower with the larger rear wheels that are "cogged." The are driven by smaller "cogged" gear wheels driven by the 3.5 hp B&S engine. Everything runs well and there is a lot of life left in the engine and mower. PROBLEM: The rubber "cogged" treads on the rear tires are dry and starting to disintegrate. They are approx. 15 and 3/4 inches overall diameter. I have read through all the posts and am not sure if these are the same tires (or spoked wheels) discussed, but I definitely would like to locate a source for the hard rubber "cogged" tires or the entire wheel and tire unit. When the "clutch" lever in engaged, the engine driven small "cogged" sprockets engage the rear wheels and drive the mower forward. Any suggestions? Feel free to email me at Thanks, Cedar22
  6. LarryF

Our Hahn Eclipse mowers might be different. My rear wheels are 10.5" x 1.75" and shown in Post #1 and the mower itself in Post #7. Miller had mine, but that was six years ago. If they don't have yours, I doubt if you'll find what you are looking for
  7. Cedar22

Cedar22 LawnSite Member

Many thanks. Do you have any contact information for Miller? I am pretty sure our wheels and tires are different. My Hahn has decals on it that say it is an "Eclipse 21"" mower. My "cogged" hard rubber "tires" are mounted on bicycle-like wire spoked chrome wheels. Cedar22
  8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have a Hahn Eclipse in my barn -- been there for decades! I will try to remember to pull it out this weekend, shoot some pics and see if there is any part that is useful.
  9. LarryF

This is the place I got mine from. I haven't bought anything from them since, but I still get flyers from them once in a while.
  10. CasualObserver

CasualObserver LawnSite Member
    from SE MN

Amazing this thread is still going after 6 years! I just came across it. I read in here a lot but never comment. This however prompted me to say something.

Larry, did you ever get your tires mounted? I ask, because I used to collect Eclipse mowers (before Hahn bought out the Eclipse company of Prophetstown, IL) they used the same wheel/tires. Hard rubber semi-pneumatic. I had several old reels, manual and powered. (Google Eclipse Rocket or Parkhound for an example) An uncle of mine told me he used to have to replace those tires when he worked at the hardware store as a kid. Said they'd cut the old one off, clean the rim, then heat the new tire in a pot of oil. It would soften and expand in the heat. You pull it out of the oil and you'd have about 30 seconds to get the tire on before it cools too much to get it on the rim and have to try again. As it cooled, it contracted to the rim, nice and tight. I never tried this myself, as I just displayed them as they were, but perhaps this little tip can help someone else down the road.