Need to buy a "good" oil filter wrench

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by tacoma200, Apr 25, 2008.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Not having much luck with some of the cheap oil filter wrenches. Broke one today on a Kohler oil filter. Any good suggestion on what works best on ZTR's? What about the 3 prong gadgets I'm seeing advertised? I have a Lazer and a Turf Tiger. There is a little room to work bu most wrenches (cheap) that I have used just don't get a good grip. Thanks.

wrench.jpg

2. Cooter

Cooter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

The strap type seems to work the best. Puts even pressure around the filter.

3. tacoma200

Thanks cooter, my Walmart models are not working out.

4. Gruneich Lawn Care Inc.

Gruneich Lawn Care Inc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from SD

I have a couple strap ones also, they seem to work way better than others that I have used.

5. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

If you are stuck, a big pair of channel lock pliers will work. What doesn't work for me are the cap like filter wench that you use with a ratchet, many of the filters I encounter are on so tight that that style will just spin on the end of the filter. Cloth, metal or rubber straps wenches are good. Personally, I like the metal strap wenches.

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I've been using wrenches as below for years, Have three different sizes. The ratchet style is good for hard to reach places. They can be picked up at any NAPA auto parts store for less than 20 bux.....

[​IMG]

7. tacoma200

Thanks guys!

8. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

9. jrc lawncare

jrc lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I use one of those. Exmark tthp hydro filters are in a confined area, works good.

10. abclawncare

abclawncare LawnSite Member

don`t put the oil filter on with a wrench just hand tighten it then you will be able to get it off without a wrench. i do this all the time works great for cars and mowers, that is if you change your oil regularly