Need to buy a hydro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by upsondown, Apr 26, 2004.

1. upsondown

upsondown LawnSite Senior Member

OK fellers - I know there are some archive posts - but as many are old ones - I need some new info from you guys........ If you were gonna buy a new Hydro - which one would you go with? And why? and How much would you pay? So many little time. We're in the market to buy and looking at the options but need to make a decision this week so any help would - as always - be greatly appreciated.
  2. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Hustler Super Walkbehind 25/54
    Because of the H-bar steering
    Around 6K.
  3. GrassFearsMe

GrassFearsMe LawnSite Senior Member

Dont buy Lesco hydros. The Pits ya hear. Our scag hydro is awsome though.
  4. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

What size? What will it be used for? Full time or just when a ZTR won't do? What's your budget limit?

I researched them a lot and came down with the following short list:

1. Hustler Hydro wb or super wb.
    2. Gravely Pro Steer Hydro

They both have easier to use steering systems, don't require neutral lock or shifting to change speed, offer floating decks for ease of height adjustment and cut quality on bigger decks, big 18" tires, fast top speed, rugged construction, established brands, etc.

The Hustler offers more hp in some versions. The Gravely offers higher blade tip speed.
  5. Stripe This

Stripe This LawnSite Member

Exmark Turf Tracer HP 48" deck, 17HP ES Kawi....just purchased one this Spring, has 15 hrs on it thus far. Great cut, excellent productivity.
  6. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

After researching several brands and practically memorizing the specs and features of half a dozen different mowers I chose the Hustler super walk behind. I got the 48" with 23hp and added a Bull rider sulky and large Accelerator catcher. This was the only one that had all the features I wanted in one machine. I wanted a walkbehind built like a rider. Hydro, floating deck, plenty of power, large tires, electric clutch, deep baffled deck, NOT pistol grips, and fast. I like it more every day.

7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I have found for 04 that i needed a walk for hills and some smaller props, it also had to look the same as the lazer with the striping roller. Well i picked the 04 turf tracer 60'" 23 kohler. So far my pick has been correct.

Its a little longer then most BUT it rides better and handles the sulky really sweet, The striping roller is great too also you can put alot of after market options like the ezchute OCDC. If quality of cut is important then the 5.5" deep deck with a blade speed of 18500 will fill the bill. The 200lb clutch will carrie you threw the thick stuff with ease.
    Try and demo the mower thats best fits your needs, It could be exmark or hustler or even a swisher:D But demo!!!!!

8. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

If you don't mind the ECS/Pistol grip type steering and can live with a slightly lower top speed, the Exmark would be a top choice also. They're a little pricey.
  9. John Gamba

from ct

10. John Gamba

from ct

Have a great season Bruce LOLOLOL