Need to buy my first mower.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MJStrain, Jun 4, 2002.

1. MJStrain

MJStrain LawnSite Member

I opened my lawn service and used a Craftsman front wheel drive with a rear bagger and a 5.5 hp Briggs and Stratton mower. Cool little beast has handled everything I've thrown at it and asked for more. Since business is now going well it's time to make the jump to a bigger badder machine. It's got to be able to bag and mulch. Also if possible something that I can get some use out of in the winter. Any suggestions?:blush:

2. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

Give us alittle more to work with as in do you want to ride or walk how big of a cut do you want 32'36'48' or larger. Tell us and we will help you.

3. Phil Egnatz

Phil Egnatz LawnSite Member

Get a 36 scag hydro walk behind

i traded mine for a toro and hate it get a velke too hydros are better less belts faster and more reliable
    oh get a kawi not a kohler

4. Nelson

Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

Toro 32" Flex deck 13 HP Command Engine.... For Beginners
    it's great...will go threw any gate + do any average Residential
    yard w/ no problems.........

Bottom Line..... good mower for someone starting out:blob3: :D

5. trimmer

trimmer LawnSite Senior Member

I would say if you want to bag and mulch to look into Toros, Walker look a like. It will mulch and bag with the same deck. I don't know if you are looking for a rider or if your yards can handle a 48" deck but I thought I would just throw it out. Your other options would be a Walker, you can get a deck all the way down to a 36" and change the decks to your needs at the time. Good luck in your mower hunting.

6. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

location 5? is that zone 5? what will be your primary type of turf you are cutting? i say forget the bagging (depending on the turf) and go with an exmark metro 36". get the mulch kit and it'll look bagged without the hassle. better for the soil too! most dealers have them for 1999 or 2099.

7. MJStrain

MJStrain LawnSite Member

The responses to my first post on this subject was phenominal. I thank you all. However it was clear from the replies that I simply did not give enough information to you. So here goes. I live in Northeast Kansas, where K1 Tall Fescue is the normal turf. My lawns are for the largest part relatively small (under 5,000 sq. ft.). However, I have noticed that owners of larger yards (up to 10,000 sq. ft.) are starting to call. Seems that there are a lot of things to cut around, gardens, trees, boulders etc., so manuverabiity is important. I stated in my previous post that bagging was important. However, if there is a mower available that would mulch fine enough so it looked bagged then bagging would not be important. However, it MUST NOT leave clumps of clippings behind to kill the grass as my current mower does. I can't be more clear on that. Two more items to consider is cost, cost, cost and ease of mowing.
    Until my client base is enlarged cost is a major consideration. Ease of use is equally important. I painted city water towers for 20 years and my body took a lot of abuse from that. I'm middle aged now and old man time is catching up. I'd like to ride on a sulky but the cost of such a machine couldn't possibly be within my grasp at this time.
    One last item, the mower MUST be narrow enough to fit through normal gate openings so I guess nothing wider than what ? 36" ?
    This lawn service is the single most important thing in my life right now. I must find viable answers to problems as they occur and I thank all of you in advance for your help and consideration.
    :blush:

8. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

look at a 36" Exmark if you want a belt drive you should be able to come out under 2500.00 with a velke. This machine should do everything you want.