Need to buy new trimmer, blower...any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rdrap, Jun 20, 2004.

1. rdrap

rdrap LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Folks,

I'm going to buy a new trimmer, blower, hedge trimmer, and edger for light commercial applications. Any suggestions on brand and model?

What are your opinions on Echo equipment?

I've had gas trimmers. Of course, they're good until they start having problems. Believe it or not, I have an electric trimmer at home and the darn thing works well. Don't like hauling the cord around, but I don't have to haul or mix fuel for it, and it starts right up everytime single time. For light applications I almost like this over the gas trimmer.

Kinda wish they made a commercial battery operated equipment that would hold a charge long enough to last a day.

2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Trimmer .....Shindaiwa T270

Blower........Redmax 7001

Hedge trimmer.....Stihl HS45

Edger........Shindaiwa LE260

That was easy.

3. sthil fs110 trimmer

sthil pl 100 hedge trimmer

stick edger fc 110 sthil

blower either redmax 7001 or echo pb 650/750 power differences are paper thin between the two.

4. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

When I was looking to get a back pack blower I looked at several brands including echo and a few others and I liked the Husqvarna 145bt the best.

5. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

As far as blowers are concerned, I like the Echo PB 650. I run an Echo SRM 230 and an SRM 260 and they both work well, but I am going to look into the Stihl models and see if I like them better.

6. hubby-wife

hubby-wife LawnSite Member

Echo trimmer that I have rotates ccw which is opposite to what I'm use to-taking it back because of this and looking at Sthil.
    String rotation could be a question to ask.
    The Echo edger works great.

7. The C Man

The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Don't bother. 99% of commercial straight-shaft trimmers rotate counter-clockwise. There's a particular Homelite model that's the exception. If you want clockwise rotation you'll have to get a curved shaft trimmer.

8. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Well... as far as blowers go, figure out what you need it for. Are you JUST going to be blowing dry grass clippings? If so, don't get the biggest engine out there, you'll be using way to much gas for the bigger engine than you actually need.

Bigger isn't always better. Figure out what your needs are, and then find the one that will fit you best. I've got a pb650 and it uses way too much gas. I'm about to get a handheld and a pb403 as well. And just use the 650 when its raining or for cleanups.

9. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

The Echo stuff will work fine for you, If indeed you are doing "light commercial" work. Personally I like bigger cc equipment, but you have to start somewhere I guess. SRM 210 trimmer should last you a few years. I think HD sells Echo's 403t backpack blower at a decent price as well.

My personal 2-cycle equipment:

Redmax eb7001 blower
    Redmax bcz2600 trimmer
    Echo SRM210 trimmer(backup)
    Echo 2400 stick edger
    Stihl HS45 hedge trimmers
    Husqvarna 350 chainsaw.

10. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Trimmer- Red Max BCZ2600S

Blower- Stihl BR320 or Red Max or Little Wonder ground blower

Hedge trimmer- ??????????????????