1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need to decide on next mower

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Jamie James, Mar 27, 2014.

1. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic

I don't have an opinion one way or the other…just invest in a commercial mower.

If 21's are all you have, the next logical step is a 48" walk behind…you only have 20 lawns, not enough to justify 15k on a single mower.

walker is a great machine, but get 40 lawns… they are expensive.
  2. Jamie James

Jamie James LawnSite Member

I was looking at the walker mower and the price is what scares most guys including me. Like I said I have 20 lawns and I'm thinking I will get a few more this year. If you take care of a walker from new would it last 10 or more years if so it seems like a good investment. I could pick up a used one on kijiji but what am I really getting who knows.

As you can see I'm on the fence lol.

I also do tree removal, stump removal, sod jobs, interlocking , trimming of hedges, install mulch, gardens, Monday to Wed, Thursday and into Friday lawns. I like cutting the lawns because its steady and at the end of the month can pay the bills.

I'm not a big company, I stay humble, honest and work hard like you guys and it would be nice while cutting lawns to sit a bit lol.
  3. Chris_NC06

Chris_NC06 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Sanford, NC

Why buy an imitation when you can have the real thing. :weightlifter:

4. pdreibels

pdreibels LawnSite Senior Member

With part time use any commercial mower will last 10+ years if taken care of. I've had a belt drive WB for 11years and a 56" ztr for 10 that still look and run great doing 3-4 days a week mowing.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. Jamie James

Jamie James LawnSite Member

I'm looking at used ones also but I'm going to have to be careful I don't enjoy wasting money.
  6. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

How would you describe your average lawn? 6k sq ft? 10K? 2 acres? You could easily get by with a used 52" or 60" walk behind and get everything done in a day to a day and a half depending on how much you drive and the size of your properties. the are full size Turf Tracers on Ebay for less than $3000 most of the time. Some are probably better than others but all are a lot cheaper than some sort of bagging mower.

Another thought: if you use a 21" a lot consider getting a 30". It will save a good bit of time as well.
  7. TML

TML LawnSite Senior Member

There are many Walkers older than 10 years still in front line service. Several members on here have Walkers with over or near 4000 hours on original drive train. Mine is a 2003 and runs perfect. They have around 30 grease fittings, automotive style bearings, even little parts can be replaced individually as/if needed.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. TML

TML LawnSite Senior Member

That being said they can be money pits as well. Try and find someone who is familiar with them if you go look at used they can show you typical wear parts and know what to listen for ect.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. CreativeLawncareSolutions

CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

Do you need a Walker if you don't bag? Nobody around here bags and I've never even heard of Walker til I joined this site. So, I'm curious. I doubt I could even buy one around here.
  10. Chris_NC06

Chris_NC06 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Sanford, NC

One guy on here has 7,000 hrs on his.