need to expand quick

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The landscaper, Jan 13, 2005.

1. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

I am selling half my business to a buddy of mine. Right now i have around 20 to 25 accounts and im in college. What is the fastest to double our size. I have established a pretty good name for the company. doing quality work and all that. My buddy has been working with another lawn care guy for about 3 years so has some good experience.

I would like to get up to about 50 accounts this summer if possible. Thanks of any help.

2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Fliers, postcards and doorhangers....repeat, repeat & repeat. Yard signs probably wouldn't hurt either. I am doing the same and hoping to gain at least 25 accounts.

3. The landscaper

By postcards. do you mean direct mail. and if so where can you get those made up and what are the costs? Thanks

4. fairwayCuts

fairwayCuts LawnSite Member

I've really been lokking into post cards latley and found some good deals at 48hourprint.com. I was planning on sending out 5000. For that many they charge $250 for the printing of the cards, 225 if you want to use thier mailing services, and then it would be about 970 for postage(she said they get postage for something like .19 a piece). That come out to about 1500 or .30 a piece. I have used them for my business cards and door hangers and was really impressed with the quality of work. They'll send you samples if you'd like too.

On a seperate not: Since I've been thinking of sending out postcards, I've don quite a bit of reading on here about postcards and advertising. It kinda bummed me out to hear the poor respone a lot of people have with the postcards. Don't let it discourage you though. A well timed and good looking piece can be very effective. Good luck :D

5. The landscaper

Would it be worth it to send out fewer than that. Seems like quite a bit to spend on postcards. atleast at my stage of the game.

Also, How many times would you guys hit the same homes with fliers? What is the fastest way to get them out too?

6. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm planning on hitting each of 2,500 to 3,000 homes with postcards on three occasions this spring. My guess is that the repetition is needed to draw a decent response rate.

I love fliers for their effectiveness, but they are so labor-intensive to distribute.

7. The landscaper

I have a couple thousand fliers sitting here waiting to go out. I am just tossing some ideas around on how to get them out most effectively and quickly. I was thinking about having some buddies that are still in high school take care of them and just get them some kind of nice gift for every few accounts I get from the fliers they passed out.

What about phone books....Does this make your company look more professional when people see you in the yellow pages?

8. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Phone book will make you look professional but will cost more. At your stage flyers and word of mouth are what will really get it going for you. Door hangers and the postcard thing will help as well. Try to build a tight route because from the sound of it you won't have much time to do the work each week and you need to be very productive. Your buddies may get accounts for you but they may be all over the place which is not good. Windshield time = no cash in your pocket. Person to person contact is the best alternative here I think. Dress nice but not expensive looking and you may get the impulse buyer and then leave a card with them with a send a freind sort of offer on it. If you get a referal from a client cut them a deal on something, it doesn't have to be a freebie.

9. The landscaper

I had told my current customers if they find me a customer I would knock 50% of their next mowing. Is that good or to cheap. Should i give them one free cut? Right now i have to much windshield time. I was just taking what i could get my first couple years. Now i am going to hammer each area and hope to make a days work out of each area. Or hopefully just fill people in all over and get rolling.

10. The landscaper

One more thing. I agree that person to person works the best. That is how i got most of the customers that I have now. I went door to door talking with the people. If they didnt have anything for me most would give me a number of someone they thought might need some help. Just very time consuming. But I think it is definately worth it if you can pick up several jobs a day.