need to extend truck hitch

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by polska, Mar 15, 2007.

1. polska

polska LawnSite Senior Member

Hey i need to extend my hitch on my dump truck any suggestions . I need to extend it about 2feet. Can anyone suggest a good welder in nj.

2. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

3. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

1st.......tilt your bed ALL the way up and measure how much room you've got to play with. I was able to extend mine out about 6"......I'll be posting pictures soon......but that 6" + an extension will do the trick.

How much weight are you looking to pull?

4. polska

about 6,000 or 7,000lb

5. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

im in the same boat with my 550, the tank is just behind the rear plate so its not as easy. A&R trailer in westbrook CT quoted me around $700 to externally mount a reciever welded to the rear plate.

6. polska

how long do u want to extend it? I found away to extend the hitch about 12inch for around $140.00. I'm going to start driving around as soon as I get my title.

7. polska

thanks tthomass

8. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

You prolly need something like this, because I had a simular problem with my 1ton dump.[​IMG]

9. polska

redwing where did u get that

10. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Do a search on ebay for extensions too......they have 12" & 18"

As for rear fuel tank...same goes for the Chevy 4500/5500 too, you may have to remove the tank for room to fab something up.

Imagine this........2" square receiver + 2" square tubing.....metal coupler that is about 4" long connecting the two (like you would do PVC pipe for example) and then (2) 1/4" pieces of steel coming from the square tubing to the plate for added strength = what I've got. I'd post a picture but they're not on this computer.