need to fix recoil

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by sully14, Apr 12, 2005.

1. sully14

sully14 LawnSite Member
    from T bay

i have a recoil spring that has come out of it's caseing and everytime i try and coil it back up and put it in, it unravelles itself any suggestions??

2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

what did it come out of?

3. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

Roll it up by hand, tight enought that its diameter is smaller then the spring housing. Then use a pair of needle nose pliers to install the spring. You will be able to control how fast it unwinds to fill the spring housing. Once unwound and in place, hold spring down with one hand and pull needle nose pliers out.

4. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

You can also use small zip ties to hold it coiled then cut and slide them out when it's in place. I've had to sometimes wind them up, put them in place, pull the string so the spring was unwound and had tension, then reassemble the bottom plate while still holding the string out.

5. sully14

sully14 LawnSite Member
    from T bay

thanx so much guys im goona try it tomorrow but it sounds like it will work hopefully anyway

6. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

One other trick that is essential is to use the little notch in the spool the string winds onto. You can install the spring first without any tension on the rope. Next, pull out the rope (it will be loose) can then pull a little rope into the compartment where the rope winds. Insert the rope into the notch so it doesn't wind around the spool while you rotate the spool in the direction it turns when the rope is pulled. Do it about 5 rounds to begin with and then take the rope out of the notch and let it wind up. If there isn't enough tension then try another round or two, but don't overdo or the spring will come loose when you pull on the rope.