Need to get a bigger ladder soon

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by grandview (2006), Jun 28, 2013.

1. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

2. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Id cut it way back this winter so you can still use that door.

3. grandview (2006)

Actually,there is a lot of space between there. and they don't use it.

4. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

I know this is going to sound offensive but you need to learn how to properly trim on as well. You shiould be inside the tree thinking the thing out not turning it into a hedge. It too late now but the stem structure should look just as nice in the winter as it does with the leaves in it. There are lots of books illustrating proper tree pruning styles. Do it right, charge more and prosper.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

Is that a Bloodgood maple?

6. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

It's OK to shape a tree anyway the client wishes and a perfect crown is a popular look for maples,,, especially when it needs to stay small...

Are you letting it get larger every year??? It looks like its green partner will be starting the process soon as well... :)

7. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

I actually like the looks/shape of that tree. I have a Bloodgood maple on the corner of my house that needs shaping but I was concerned about damaging the tree. looks like they do well.

8. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

It is a good idea to keep the branches from dying on the inside as you shape the tree by cutting down to the trunk on some occassions to allow new branches to grow into the crown...

9. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Desiring your tree to be a specific shape and trimming so it grows that shape does not mean you are trimming wrong. Apparently you have never been to the epcot center or universal studios or Disney world.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. grandview (2006)

Another one. The fence is about 6 ft so go from there.

tall shrubs.jpg