1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need to Get by, What saw to use

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by White Gardens, May 23, 2008.

1. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Cut off saws are the bomb, That I do know. My instalations have started to bump up this year and eventually I know I'll need one. The thing is, I can't justify spending 800 dollars for one just yet.

My question is, I've seen blades for circular saws and angle grinders, and I'm wondering if it would work for the time-being until I drop the dough. Has anyone used these tools for cutting pavers ??

I'm not doing patio installs, so the amount of cuts I make is minimal.

My only concern is what the dust would do to my cheap circular saw, or my expensive angle grinder. The circular saw I can trash, thats no big deal.
  2. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

Sure I have used angle grinder with 4" diamond blade. You can find a nice TS400 on Ebay for 400.00
  3. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Right now I have a Bosh. I didn't know if the dust was going to kill my electric motor though? If it is then I'd find a cheap one to kill instead.
  4. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I have killed more angle grinders doing masonry work than I want to count. 4.5, 5, 7, 9" grinders it doesn't matter. They really are designed for metal and the ultra fine power is so abrasive that it will shred the rotor and bearings. Just spend the money and get a nice stihl TS400 with the wet kit. It will be cheaper in the long run.
  5. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

go to your local rental store and rent it when you need it. Buy the blade though it is silly to rent it.
  6. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Go to your local rental store and talk to the small engines guy. I've got two TS 400's.........the latest I bought from him. A customer dropped one off, it was blown and the customer didn't want it anymore. He rebuilt it, I paid him for his labor and I had a new saw.
  7. clcare2

clcare2 LawnSite Member
    from indiana

I bought a 12'' ryobi drop saw last year. still going strong. only paid 125$ for it.
  8. JimmyStew

JimmyStew LawnSite Senior Member

I use a worm drive saw with a 7 1/2" diamond blade for all my patio installations. I save the "big saw" for wall block. The smaller saw is much easier to handle in my opinion. The dust issue is definitely worth considering. A nice set of goggles and a dusk mask/respirator are a must.
  9. amscapes03

amscapes03 LawnSite Senior Member

I use a HD Dewalt 7" angle grinder to score my paver cuts. Been using and abusing it for years now, and it's still running strong. I find the big cut-off saws to be over kill for pavers. Their to bulky and gyrate to much for a precise score. If your doing more walls than pavers a cut-off would probably be a good investment.
  10. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

EDCO / Contrax makes a nice, electric, table saw.

I forget the price, but I think they sell for somewhere around $400 - $800.00