Need to identify shrub

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by pseudosun, Feb 9, 2011.

1. pseudosun

pseudosun LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been trying to find the name of this shrub. I searched for waxy leaf shrubs, and the only thing close was ligustrum. That's not it. I wanted to grow some of these by seed maybe. Thanks in advance if you know what it is.

P.S. The picture was taken while it was raining, so it's normally not that shiny.

[​IMG]

2. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Looks a lot like a Mt Laurel ( rotodemdrum family)

3. pseudosun

i'll go get a full shot of it right now. If it helps, i'm in louisiana.

4. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

oh , ok . Mt Laurel is more of a northern shrub if Im not mistaken.

5. pseudosun

6. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not certain, but I think in this part of the country we call it a cherry laural.

7. StihlMechanic

StihlMechanic LawnSite Bronze Member

You will have more success taking a cutting to propagate this shrub using rooting hormone as opposed to seed.

8. pseudosun

Okay, i'll consider that. It's my landlord's bush, and i've seen better ones around town. I'm just curious about the name. The seeds are black, and i picked a bunch from a better looking bush today. [​IMG]

Since this an evergreen bush, what would be the best time to get a cutting?; just whenever i see new growth, or is there a premium time? Also, how long, about 6"?

9. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

OK, definatly not a MT laurel.

10. pseudosun

i think laurel is on the right track, just saw some with black seeds, but not quite the color or leaf shape. It could vary depending on location? Cherry laurel was pretty close, but the leaves looked a little long and skinny.