need to know bout walk behinds & mowers

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by AGM87, Jun 24, 2005.

1. AGM87

AGM87 LawnSite Member

my name is andy and i wanna start a bussiness next summer. i dont know what brand of mower i want to buy and whether or not i should just get like a 250$-300$. i wanna know if i should just get a 36" deck pushbehind or go for like a 44"-48". email me at orangefreak88664@hotmail.com.thanks

2. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

36'' deck pushbehind :dizzy:

"push behind"= w/b (walk behind) mower?

anyways what are you talking about $250-300, have you priced walk behinds b4 dude? their no where near $250, even its scraped..... to get an walk behind of any size used your gonna have to pay at least $700, BARE MINIUM... now for a good running walk behind, say 36'' deck thats gonna cost $1,200 at least, maybe a $1k if you can wheel & deal and the 48'' cut w/b will run ya from $1,500 up....

New Walk behind mowers, lets say Exmark..... below are the bare minuim price you'll pay for a new mower, but you can go ahead and price shop other makes & models.....
    36'' w/b deck metro (fixed, belt drive) $2,800
    48'' w/b deck metro (fixed, belt drive) $3,400
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    now wherever you picked that $250-300 price range, i'll go ahead and be a smart arse and say u picked them outta your arse :p

but for a good 21'' mower, say toro ( another division of exmark).... $399 for 21'' toro regular recycler and $550 for toro super recycler & $1,050 for 21'' toro proline (commercial/ top of the line) mower.... these days they've got an 26'' deck out, but for starters just as yourself i wouldn't recommend it.... your starting out & don't need the $$ cost of it....
    the best setup you could have is the 21'' toro super recycler ($550) & an 36'' or 48'' deck w/b.... to accomandate all props. w/an 48'' deck you can cut up to 3 acres.... and w/the 21'' mower i'de recommend cutting up to .75 of an acre.... so w/all said you can by all means cut small gated props. w/the 21'' mowers.. these days on the new gates, their using the more wider gates @ 48''-60''.... back in the old day, most gates were only 32''-36'', but a few ppl 2day are still using small gates, who in god name's knows why though......
    but i truely believe 1self can get theirself's feet weet in the green industry mowing lawns w/$2-3k cutting some props.... but the key is to buy good used equipment and not junk mowers & such..... generally you'll pay up to an $1-1,300 for all of your hand held equipments package used if your lucky and this will include blowers, string trimmer, edgers and what not.... and you can pick up the toro super recycler 21'' few years old for about $250-300 and pick up the 48'' mower for about $1,500....

make sure you have a trailer, b/c after a month of loadin & unloadin the truck bed full of equipment you'll get tired....you can pick up an 10x6 for $700.... with all of above you've spent about $2,800 and you'll have it paid for by the end of the season..... payup

3. AGM87

AGM87 LawnSite Member

i ment to say walk behind not push behind and i ment 250$-300$ for a mower. i cant drive & dont hav like anything to tow the trailer with

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Ok, here's the definitions for commercial lawncare mowing machines:
    Pushmower: Any 20" or 21" or so small lawnmower, they are ALL called pushmowers, yes, even self-propelled ones.
    Walk-Behind or wb: That's the Midsize commercial mowers that have decks from 30" to 60" with sizes in between, 32, 36, 40, 44, 48, and 52" I think. They are those big machines you see the guys running around in the shopping centers and even thou they are rideable and Zero-Turn CAPABLE, they're all called Walk-behinds.
    Zero-Turn Rider or ZTR: That's the largest of the commercial mowers, they are Ride-only and highly Zero-turnable with controllers that operate the machine much like a tank.

Price-wise, pushmowers sell from as little as 50 bucks for a used one up to a 1000 dollars for a brand-new commercial use model.
    Wb's sell for as little as 700-1000 used, and start at 2800 and go up to 4 and 5 thousand for brand-new, depending on make, model, and accessories.
    Ztr's sell in the thousands, dunno much about them, never owned one yet.

Peace out and good luck

5. AGM87

AGM87 LawnSite Member

i know everything about them im just wondering if i should start off my business with a pushmower & wb or just pushmower

6. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

That would depend on you market, or what will work best in your area. If you need to walk to your customers, then a push mower might be your best bet. Good Luck :)

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

True, true. With a Wb you'll be facing the problems of where to store it at night as well and how to get to-from (walking a wb down the street is not nearly as cool as doing it with a pushmower). And for 250-300, you can get a LOT more pushmower than Wb, there are no real wb's for less than 700 and a lot of guys on here say that even the 1000-dollar wb's are junk.
    If you're just starting out and without car or ride, a pushmower will get you 2, 3, then later 4-5 accounts and so on, you can probably deal 8-10 or more in your immediate neighborhood if you do a good job, save your money for a few years so you can then later buy all the big stuff.

8. CoachLinz

CoachLinz LawnSite Member

How big are the properties you are looking at? A w/b with a velky to ride on would get you started right and you could ride it around the neighborhood to your jobs. Also, if you can't drive, you might even consider a basic lawn tractor and get one of those carts that pull behind it to haul a trimmer, blower, extra gas, trimmer line, tools, etc and just unhook it at the job. It'll be a lot slower than a w/b, but no worse than a 21" push mower plus you can haul the extras with you. If you're handy you might even be able to rig one of those carts up to a w/b...