Need to let someone go, but can't decide who

Discussion in 'Employment' started by MikeTA95, Jun 19, 2012.

1. MikeTA95

MikeTA95 LawnSite Member

Yes I am also going to try upselling a little bit in the next few weeks. I'll probably send an ad out with my next billing and try calling a couple good customers who may be willing to give us some work. But fall is a big concern for me, because we will be very busy again.

2. Nick's Lawn Care

Nick's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a good opportunity to send one of your guys to learn hardscaping, I would do that... Maybe match his pay to what he would be getting? Or give them incentives for learning?

3. Orrdc

Orrdc LawnSite Senior Member

the bottom line to me, yes business is business and money is great but family is more important than all of that.

4. Snapper Jack

Snapper Jack LawnSite Senior Member

There's this thing called "Seniority" and I'm a firm believer in it, due to it's all a employee has these days as most employers seem to be looking for away out of screwing their employees out of their benefits. Let go who has the lowest seniority and explain to your other employees that if their work ethics don't meet company standards within a certain time ,they'll be packing their bags and I hope those who do leave will be drawing unemployment cuz you are laying them off do to business being slow.

5. BradLewisLawnCare

BradLewisLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Less likely to screw you over later. in most cases. That hardscaping thing sounds great. send your brother there. match what he is getting from them to make his normal rate. Then just pull him back when you need the help. Nice to have more intelligence when you need it.

6. andyslawncare

andyslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in the same boat. I'm keeping everyone and cutting hours equally as needed to make financial sense. Recently I've been running around 1 truck doing sales and things of that nature, and increased size of my maintenance crew so they get done faster.