1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

need to make aeration and or aeravation more affordable for large lawns

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ant, Aug 21, 2001.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

i have a dozen or so lawns that are grouped together that are 34,000 to 48,000 sf,all open, sod in front and seeded in the back.all have sprinkler systems and 50% have wells.
    they are much interested in aeration of the lawn.
    i need to sit down and do the math. this week i am getting a 40"pto driven aeravator that will work out well for those large backs,but i need to know what this mechine will do per hour.
    core aeration is no problem, one pass for those lawns = $400-$500. with no seed and with seed it could be $1200.00.
    grant it who is going to spend that kind of money?
    or maybe they will ,this is my first yr. doing propertys this size.
    aeravation service they tell me that they get $2000.00 for lawns that size.
  2. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

light on the seed hevy on the gas
  3. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

For this year try to make enough to pay off your machine.If your jobs are in a more upscale area try to charge what you think its worth.Hell i can't even talk some of my customers into 25.00 for fertilizer.I'm jealous> good luck, and have fun.:blob3:
  4. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

What does that mean?

Ask around in your area and see what other (if any) charge for aeravation. For small lawns around 5000 sf or less I charge $225 for aeravation and overseeding. From there I charge $40 per 1000 most of the time, if I have a large job I may charge a little less and if I have multiple jobs it may be less. If the lawn has a ton of "things" in the lawn I may charge a little more.

You will find that aeravation goes faster than aeration and you will not be nearly as tired at the end of the day, plus your lawns will look great.

5. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

put less seed down and go fast on the tractor/mower
  6. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

THANKS FOR THE replys.
    ray. its going to be in today ,the sales rep. is going to show me how to run it.
    i am the only one in this area that has one ,there are 2 parks that own them. nobody knows about them in my area.
  7. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

Oh Yeah !!!! I know about them and I ordered 3 and will undercut anybody's price here in NJ on aeravation !!! LOL

Hey Ant,

I wondered if you will give people the option, since you have both aerator and aeravator ? If you do, and I figure you will charge less for aeration, do you think it will be a hard sell for aeravation ?

$400-500 in groups of 12 are great numbers if you can get that.

Good luck with the aeravator.

8. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't worry about pricing them till you can play with your machine on some turf of family or friends and figure production. I wouldn't worry about size difference as long as you have alittle open area to work with. I've found that size doesn't do much for efficiency other than you don't have to change jobs as often. The machine will only produce so much per hour no matter what.

Your costs and profits are yours alone so don't worry about anyone else.

You'll have a pretty expensive rig there with the tractor and equipment plus truck and trailer. Make sure you get enough for the service.

Also remember, this rig won't be working a zillion hours a season so it has to pay for itself with a lot fewer hours.