Need to order part - but have a question first

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by 1MajorTom, May 6, 2002.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

The mower in question is a Metro HP 48 inch.
    Serial Number: 152886

Rear deck support (where you adjust height)
    Deck support keeps separating from ball joint.

In the parts manual, it seems as if they upgraded the lower portion of the deck support.
    When I look at reference number 76 in the parts manual, it tells me link, Service by 611216
    As it appears, they show the part I have, also an upgraded part.

My question is: Do I have to upgrade both sides to keep the deck level?
    Also do I have to order the whole part reference number 74 611216

Was this a bad design, and it now has been modified?

Cause the problem I am having is the deck support mates very loosely to the ball joint now. Thus slipping off when jarred.
    And it looks like the upgrade is made to take more abuse.

I need to get this ordered tomorrow morning.
    Thanks,

Matt

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Matt,

Order the p/n 611216. It is the upgraded ball joint and pin. It is better, will last longer and be much more reliable. I would order one for the other side while I'm doing it. It's unlikely that it will effect your cutting height but the older style is much more prone to failure. Buy the newer style now, put it on and will greatly reduce the likelihood that you will have any further down time due to this part. The other side may never fail, but the part is not that expensive compared to the down time if it does fail.

We had actually been using the older style for 15 + years with very few failures and that last two years we used it the failure rate had increased quite a bit. That's why we switched designs. There were some indications that the problem with old style was caused by wear on the tooling that our vender used in manufacturing. Not a bad design, it just wasn't meeting our required level of performance any longer. It's tough to explain the differences in the two designs. Once you look at one it'll be obvious which one is going to hold up better. The new style also allows you to better fine tune your deck leveling if you ever get a set of tires that are either smaller or larger than the originals.

The new design really is quite a bit better but that's not saying the old design was bad, just not as good.

Thanks

Terry

3. 1MajorTom

Terry,

Appreciate your quick response.
    I ordered the part thru local dealer via parts plus program overnight. It will be here tomorrow.

The dealer though did tell me that they changed the part number 611216 to a new number. So from the local dealer, I was told that this part has been upgraded twice.

Didn't lose any downtime on this mower because we got rained out today.

Thanks,
    Matt

4. 1MajorTom

One other quick question.
    Now that we are on the subject of the deck supports, have they modified the front deck supports also? Or are these bullet proof?

Matt

5. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Terry or Matt

Hi,

Im curious as to what year the HP is? The serial number is within a thousand of mine. If my unit is prone to this issue I would like to prevent it prior to occurance.

Thanks

6. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

New part number is correct,

Sometimes I think we change number just to be changing numbers but in this case there was a reason. The new deck support pin/ball joint now uses the same larger "hair pin" that is used in the front.

The front pins are the one's that really take the abuse and have not been modified. They really are not much of a problem at all. Are they bullet proof? On the 48" Metro HP you shouldn't really ever have a problem. Then again anything can break.

The 152K serial number units would have been built some time around the month of October in 1997.

Please let me know if we can be of any more help.

Thanks

Terry