need to price a bid

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jnhowell1, Jan 16, 2007.

1. jnhowell1

jnhowell1 LawnSite Member

can anyone please tell me how to price a bid on 75 homes in a retirement community. its in ohio and they only want cut weed eat and blow , all of this everyweek. he said its 0-75 sq feet they vary . the people in charge are a good family friend but i dont want to be a really low bidder but i really want the bid i really need this to make my summer. im gonna have one other person help me as well. this is not gonna be spring or fall clean ups thanks
  2. Clear-Cut

Clear-Cut LawnSite Senior Member

75 sq. ft.?

i would charge a normal rate per sq. ft. and just multiply it by 75 (that would be if all of the properties are the same...which you said they vary in size)

basically charge per individual house...maybe a couple bucks less just because you wont be using much gas to drive around
  3. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Do you mean 75 individual houses, or 75 units? IE condos?

If individual houses, I am wondering if your 0-75 square foot number is a typo.

Give us more details.
  4. jnhowell1

jnhowell1 LawnSite Member

thanks , they are 75 houses he said up to 75 sq ft he's not sure of the exact footage. so im not sure whats a good price 20. 25 30 or 15 a cut what do you think

SILVERSTREAK INC LawnSite Senior Member

depends how much weeding, here in eastern pa i have 250 homes in a ritzie toll brothers community all managed by a board, my price is 16 per lawn cutting, 6 dollars weedwacking and 2 dollars to edge (once very other week) thats right out of my book, but these lawns are larger, 25 feet by 20 feet, and i need to cut them with a 48 & bagger......

hard to say w/o looking at it

good luck
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Hmm......75 sq. ft....That's roughly a 8 1/2 x8 1/2 ft. area. A little small for a lawn, I think....:rolleyes:
  7. fiveoboy01

That is why I questioned the number.

I know some of these communities have small turf areas, but that just seems like a number that is too small for any possible development.
  8. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh LawnSite Member

Hi. I've got another question while you all are working on JNHOWELL1's question. I'm preparing a proposal for a client to edge and mulch 20 trees. They vary in size, some are pretty big. I'm considering charging $25 / tree, $500 for the job. This would include labor and materials. Am I in the ballpark?
  9. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Are they open 75 sqft lots. Can you run a 48" mower across 10-15 units and then take a swipe back and be done?

To many unanswered variables here.
  10. fiveoboy01

Start a new thread instead of hijacking this one.

And I think you're way low with that estimate.