1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need to purchase ZTR?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Terson, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Terson

Terson LawnSite Member

I've been reading this forum for 3 days straight now but this is my first post, so please bear with me.
    I have a 10 acre parcel and finish mow 6 acres of it (mostly dandelions now that used to be just red fescue when I seeded it). I would like to keep the back 4 (tall weeds) cut as well. I've been using a 72" rear discharge finsih mower behind my JD 790 and occasionally have even pulled a 44" swisher behind that for a 9' cut. Here are my problems.

1st My yard is fairly flat (rolling hills er, bumps 2-3' high) but it is pretty bumpy in spots. I have a few washed out areas that makes me fly off the seat of my tractor. (I will fix those eventually) I have a lot of back trouble and the tractor is not doing me any favors.

2nd It still takes me about 4 hours to mow with the 72" mower. Partly due to the speed I can handle (4-5 mi/hr or less) before it gets to rough and partly due to the thick grass in certain spots (septic field, low lying damp areas and wet area were a field tile is leaking) The other problem is the amount of time I think I am wasting turning this rig around at the end of each pass. I like to cross cut my lawn. With the swisher behind it, it is rather ridiculous.

Now for the questions: What size mower would you guys suggest to cut down on my mowing time? I would love to cut my time in half.

What brand of mower will handle finish mowing my lawn (dandelions and all) and handle the back 4 acres if I keep it mowed down?

Do different brands ride (take the bumps out) better than others?

I have 2 john deere, an exmark, kubota, grass hopper and maybe a scag dealer within 15 miles of me.

I'm sure I want a commercial unit. Used is not out of the question and I would like to spend under $10k. I might have the opportunity to pick up a JD 777 72" 27hp used for a reasonable price. A new one OTD is $10,670. Would this fit the bill? How's the ride and how much time would it save me.

I did mow my lawn twice last year with an exmark 52" ztr but the motor was a little under sized and still only saved about 30 minutes of time.

Sorry for the length of my post, just trying to relay all my info accurately
  2. Terson

Terson LawnSite Member

Would appreciate any input from the Pro's
    Thanks in advance!
  3. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

Not a pro, but Exmark and Scag are a couple of the elite mowers. You are in the ball park of a 61" Scag Turf Tiger with a 27hp liquid cooled Kawi..This would speed things up.
  4. lzrj

lzrj LawnSite Member

If you have a bad back and you have that much land to mow, you want something that has a suspension seat and/or Ferris mower with suspension on all the wheels. Check out this mower. Its a beast and seems to meet all your needs. Better hurry before it's gone. He just dropped it another $1,000.

5. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

You better test before you buy. A Z with has tiny tires compared to your tractor. The holes and bumps that are rough on a tractor will be bad on a Z. I have a JD 757 and is rides a lot rougher than the large lawn tractors like a JD X700.
  6. Terson

Terson LawnSite Member

Thanks lzrj. That looks like a really nice mower for the price but I live in michigan and I just can't spend that kinda money on something I can't try out first. I want to be able to demo something before I buy.
  7. lzrj

lzrj LawnSite Member

No problem, thought you might of liked a road trip. If I'm buying a big item, I will travel up to 400-500 miles for it if I can get a great deal. I traveled 500 miles last year to buy my wifes BMW. It was $5000 cheaper than anything around here plus had lower miles. It was mint and a great find. But you do have to do research before you go to make sure it is what they are saying. Hope you find something you like. I have an Everride Warrior and I love it. If you can find one in your area, check it out. They are cheaper than the others but better built (Do a search on this site). I tested all others and researched for 6 months before I bought it. It has a pivoting front axle and suspension seat which cuts down on the bumps. But I really dont think any zero turn will be smoother than a large tractor. Tractors have large wheels that rolls over most bumps that smaller wheels will roll into, but Tractors can't mow as fast either. I use to mow with my fathers John deere tractor with a 7 foot finish mower but still couldnt get it done nearly as quick than I can with my 54" Warrior.
  8. Terson

Terson LawnSite Member

How much time do you think I would save by using a 72" ztr instead of my tractor with a 72" mower
  9. lzrj

lzrj LawnSite Member

I would estimate probably an hour at the most. It all depends on how thick you let it get. The thicker it is the slower you will go just like on the tractor. If you mow weekly and keep it down then it should go quick and easy. If you do a lot of turning a Z will also cut time due to only cutting what hasnt been cut already like you would do on a tractor with wide turns. All around, a Z is much better to mow with than a tractor.