Need to replace the oil pan gasket on 1999 f-350 SD

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Pilgrims' Pride, Dec 31, 2005.

1. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

My mechanic broke the news to me.
    He says that they need to pull or at least raise the engine to replace the gasket.
    He says I don't want to scare you but this is a big job and I cant do it because I cant lift your truck.
    Ant ideas what it may cost?
    Any easier way?

2. irishgoldcleanups

irishgoldcleanups LawnSite Member

here in new york it would be around 400-500 dollars. are you mecanically inclined??

3. Pilgrims' Pride

from MA.

Ya I'm inclined to screw it up!

4. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

You have to raise the motor to take down the oil pan??? this may be right, but doesn't sound right to me.

5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Its usually either this or removing the exhaust and some crossmember bracing on most modern vehicles.

6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Are you sure its a pan gasket I would take it for a second opinion you may have a leaky valve cover gasket that is letting oil run down the engine looks like the pan gasket is leaking.

I didn't see if this was a gas pot or a diesel if its a diesel then the turbo has to be removed to tilt the engine up high enough to drop the pan out. I would take it to a place that is reputable as it maybe a job where they have to pull the engine to get the pan off. You don't want to tempt it yourself and find out oh crap the engine has to come out and you don't have the means to do it.

Usually with the engine out you do the other stuff to the truck like the clutch etc.

7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I've had good luck with just removing the exhaust, unbolting the mounts and hoisting the engine and transmission together up on some vehicles.

Then you don't have to seperate the two.

8. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

did they put dye in the oil, and see it for sure its the oil pan gasket? My bother had a older 92 gasser, they had to lift the motor alittle bit to change the gasket.

9. Pilgrims' Pride

from MA.

I'm no mechanic.
    Please explain

10. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

If you have a mechanic,that has no way to lift your truck up nor has an engine hoist to raise the engine
    regardless of what it needs raised up for then lemmie tell ya right now
    You need a real mechanic.Loose this one!