Need to secure a transformer

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by OKSooner, Sep 23, 2012.

1. OKSooner

OKSooner LawnSite Member

One of my clients has asked me to bid lighting for two of her rental properties.

Obvious question... anybody have any suggestions about how to secure the transformer to protect it from the inevitable bad tenant?

2. S&MLL

S&MLL LawnSite Senior Member

Put it underground?!?

On a side not if she is worried about a tenant stealing the thing why would she pay good money to have lighting installed at that property

3. OKSooner

OKSooner LawnSite Member

I'm the one wanting to cover that base. She hasn't thought of it yet I suppose because she hasn't seen a drug addict steal someone's hot water heater for the scrap metal like I have.

4. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Bronze Member

5. S&MLL

S&MLL LawnSite Senior Member

If these people rent the property a guard shack is going to be almost useless..... 5 minutes and a crow bar and bye bye transformer. Those things are good for public places where a little bit of security will stop most people walking by from messing with an irrigation timer or stealing a backflow device. But if its at the house you rent whos going to watch you and call the cops?

If your truly worried about theft and they cant be installed in a locked utility closet then just install underground transformer. 99.5 percent of renters will never know that there is a transformer under some mulch.