Need to Vent a Bit!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JDeere Fan, Apr 27, 2005.

1. JDeere Fan

JDeere Fan LawnSite Member

I had a customer of mine call me today that I had just taken on his account at the first of the month. I told him that it would be $35/cut. I cut his yard 4 times this month and sent him a bill for $140. He called me today raising all kinds of ... He says that I told him that it would be $35/month and that he could have gotten it done for $40/month??!!!!! He proceeded to tell me that he will send a check for $35 and that was all I was going to get. I tried to explain to him but who in the right mind would think that someone would cut his yard for $8.75 per cut? What an idiot. So I hung up the phone after he told me not to come back. This is the same guy that called me last week and made a point to tell me how nice his yard looked after i had just mowed it. What a j.a!!

OH and then I get home and there is a lawncare flyer on my door from some idiot about doing my lawn. I think that it is the same guy that is going around mowing yards for $10. I ought to get an estimate.

2. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

That was my flier and now I have to lower my price to $8.75 because that is what the last guy charged.

:p

3. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

yeah, Now i make sure & tell folks "the price is XX PER TIME. I had 2 people say they thought it was $45 per "month".

Some people just do not think. If they did they would realize you can not work that cheap. But if these people have never had any kind of Business experience I guess they do not think like we do. Some think you are just happy to be working and time is no factor for you. In other words they beleive as long as you are making money doing a mundane task like Mowing, you are happy.

4. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

so now you know. we are not creditors . We have a hard time collecting from deadbeats. I NEVER float a new customer for a month and hope they pay. Its one thing to be happy to get new customers but get paid a few times each cut before you even think about a monthly. If they are serious about your service they will want to test you too. Move on lesson learned.

5. JDeere Fan

JDeere Fan LawnSite Member

I guess, but what an idiot! Do people not think? Should I try to write a certified letter etc?

6. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

We all complain abot these guys saying "I'll mow anything for $10". Instead of getting ticked off we should all hire these guys, sub work to them, make good money off them, and with all the buisness and still no profit they would be out of business so fast it wouldn't be funny. And to respond to the main point of your story, after he told you he had been qouted 35 p/month did you tell him to set the crack pipe down? Sounds like he's on something pretty potent.

7. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

your right to be pissed!! but drink a beer and write it off .

8. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldnt write it off, this guy is taking you for a ride and will play this game on the next LCO that takes over. Get old debts on him, let him know its going on his credit report if he doesnt pay up.

9. amtrucker22

amtrucker22 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

If he charges $10 a visit I would have him mow my yard. I never have time for my own yard, and in the time it would take me to mow my own yard, I could have made an additional $65.

10. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

BUT, the quality will not be there. Send some of these dudes to your Doctor so and so residence and see what happens to your account list.