Need to vent a little

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Sym, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Sym

Sym LawnSite Member

I bid on a mulch job 1.5 weeks ago. I bid $60/yard for 4 yards plus a little extra for preparing the beds. She gave me the go ahead. We worked out the schedule and this week, on my regular route, I stopped in to prep/weed the beds and cut out the beds (grass had grown into them). Today I was suppoded to pick up the mulch and put it in. She calls me this morning and tells me that she no longer wants the mulch because she found in cheaper:cry:....someone else was going to install it for 12 dollars a yard!!! What the crap?!?!?! She is mailing me a check for the prep work, but man....thats cheap....It's like they are paying her to mulch her yard:hammerhead:.....

I had another this year where the wife gave me a go ahead for 3 yards mulch that included removal of old mulch and weeding the beds....was pretty bad. The husband calls me the next day and nixes the plan and says that it is too much and was going to do it himself. I drove past in and he put a thin layer of red chips over his old brown stuff and didn't even weed his own beds....it looks worse now than it did before!!!

had to vent...the only plus of this is I get to spend 1/2 the day with my kids:)

2. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

That blows ,and i do feel your pain i have had a few jobs fall throu the same way. People just don't realize what their getting for the money they see mulch + install =($$$) we see removal & desposing of old mulch + preping & spraying for weed & possible irrigation adjustments + purchasing & delivering the mulch and then giving them a quality install, just to give them a bill that you may not get a speedy payment on! So bottom line is this is what i tell some of my customers "the bitter taste of a job done poorly will out last the price of a sweet deal".:drinkup:

3. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I wonder where they steel the mulch from..........that bites

4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Your (former) customer might just be telling you this ($12 a yard) to bait you into dropping your price. If you are bold, you may want to ask her who is doing the work for that price and other similar questions. You may bait her into spilling her bluff....

5. EngineeredLawns

EngineeredLawns LawnSite Member

I would of asked her where she wanted the mulched dumped, that you had already picked it up and that you would also be charging a delivery fee.

That really sucks. Coustomers like that you don't need.

6. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I've told a few people that the price they got must be for a child to mow there lawn. Otherwise the person doing it isn't paying taxes and insurance. Their comment, Oh, really? I usually say in most cases thats what is happening. I tell them it cost alot of money to maintain a lawn care business legally. The most recent one I said, "if you go to Burger King and knew they didn't have a business license or insurance, would you still eat there? Most say no and the last person said, thats great info, go ahead and take care of the lawn for me! :) I'm up to 4 weekly accounts and 1 bi-weekly. I need MORE ASAP.

7. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

12 dollars a yard. wow he is giving them the mulch for free. It cost me 49.-- dollars a yard just for mulch

8. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I'd hire this guy to do all my mulch jobs. Sub em out to him and charge customer $10 more per yrd for doing nothing......I couldn't do it for that price.

9. kartracer2000

kartracer2000 LawnSite Member

thats ridiculous! $72 for 6 yards of mulch and install. No way someone is doing it for that price. She's jerkin you around.

10. Sym

Sym LawnSite Member

haven't called her again....my only guess would be that whoever is doing it(assuming she's not jerking me around) is that they pick crap mulch up for free and putting it in that cheap.:dizzy:

I'll drive by on wednesday (when I cut my yards in that neighborhhod) and see what it looks like....need to bring my camera!