Need to Vent

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Albery's Lawn & Tractor, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know how it is for you guys but this year the number of LCO's has tripled in my area. What pisses me off is virtually none of them are liscensed or insured, most of them do some of the sh*tiest work I have ever seen (the other day I see a guy trimming bushes with a string trimmer). These guys think b/c there mower says Poulan Pro that it's a commercial unit:hammerhead: , the only good thing for me is that we also run a small engine shop so we get to charge them to fix there homeowner crap, but of course the think I'm suppose to stop what I'm doing b/c they got 3 yards to mow tommorow (I do 6-10 before 3pm and then help out pop at the shop). And everyone body is using a JD LA120, god bless Home Depot and Lowes for helping every Joe Blow out there become a LCO. And now the big thing is Fire Fighters getting into the bus. Our local volunteers I have no problem with but our local PAID one's don't do dick. When there's a fire there the last to show up, usually the volunteers already have it handled, and every time you drive by there station there out playing basketball or on the grill. Every year it just gets worst. If these people would just pay taxes and be legit then that would be great (and I know they don't b/c they brag about not giving uncle sam a dime at the local dealers and my shop). Sorry for the long post but you can't make it through a neighborhood without seeing 10 new LCO.

2. privatelawn

privatelawn LawnSite Senior Member

You were also new at some time.

3. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Yeah but I was legit. Since I wanted to due this commercially I used COMMERCIAL EQUIP. Not to mention I have always took pride in my work, which is more then I can say for most of the guys around here, to them it's just money.

4. lawnjockey56

lawnjockey56 LawnSite Member

this has been discussed so many times-i honestly believe it falls at the customers feet-these are people who would never hire you in the first place because of pricing and the scrubs suit their wallet. In the end these aren't yards youd want or have anyway-it's negative energy to waste on these guys. And in the end they are providing a service that like it or not-someone is happy with.

5. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

I know its been discussed here before but this is the first year that it's really been noticable here. I'm not complaining about work I'm still doing fine, but these ruin the market by charging $20 for 1/2 acre and not to mention there set up makes our profession look like a joke.

6. BlueShieldLawnCare

BlueShieldLawnCare LawnSite Member

I take offense to almost everything you just said. We started with several "homeowners" crap, bc our goal was to invest anything and everything we made back into the business, so as to not lose any money. We now have Stihl equipment and are gradually acquiring more and more "commercial" equipment. And I'm a cop. Not the same as a firefighter, but paid, just the same. And you know what? Half the civilians around here b*tch that the police don't do anything around here! You don't know what they are doing behind the scenes, and I doubt you are at every scene they get called to, so how do you know they are always the last to show up and all that crap?!?! And in case you didn't know, the starting pay for a firefighter (you know, the one that's gonna drag your complaining a*s out of a burning building) is less the $30,000 in most states. You try supporting your family on that! Lay off the insults. Next you'll be calling the 13 year old kid mowing lawns for $10 a disgrace to the business and a fraud, and all that poor kid's trying to do is earn some pocket change. Everyone starts at different places, and everyone learns as they go. Those lawns that you claim the firefighters do such a crappy job on will more then likely look better and better each time as they learn. There are more then enough lawns for everyone, so stop your whining and suck it up.
    ~Never Forget the Fallen Charleston 9~

7. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

If I want the "behind the scene" I'd just go to the local duncon donuts and see tax payers money hard at work. I live in the county not city so it would be volunteers coming here. I am good friends with many of the local vols here and I know what they tell me, and I know what I see when I drive by the paid guys station. Most of these guys don't report what they make on the side to taxes, is this fair? I pay taxes and insurance. I would be happy to see a teenager out working instead of playing xbox all day long. The quote for more then enough lawns isn't always true. You'll learn about these guys (if your not one) in a few years when you've been doing this as long as I have.

8. BlueShieldLawnCare

BlueShieldLawnCare LawnSite Member

We have been doing this for a few years, and guess what? We do pay taxes and insurance. And guess what? There are more then enough lawns for EVERYONE. The donuts comment was stereotypical, but that's pretty much what I expected since your original post was so ridiculous. Like I said, there's more then enough lawns for everyone. So suck it up and stop whining. And thank your firefighters and cops. They do what they do for nothing, and risk their lives for jerks like you who criticize them day in and day out.

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Ahhh.... I have found a bright side to all the drought we have had... sort of...

It has been really really bad like that here for a number of years.
    But it hasn't been as bad this year as it was before...

Now, it has really eaten away at the lower and middle class lawn jockeys. So there is not much out there between the few pros and the slew of extreme bottom feeders and weekend warriors.

In other words, everything in between has been crushed out out business or pushed further down the totem pole. What has happened is that everything has slowed down so much this year that the 'cashflow existance' dissappeared for the lowballers and the ones squeeking by earning an employee wage for running a business illegit.

Heck, just today I saw 'the other' legit operation here servicing a local site neither of us have ever had a snowballs chance at in the past. I'm sure he did the work cheaper than normal to get the 'busy work'... all things considerd. But still, it's better than before.

So in reality, although this has been a down year due to the weather, it's really been an "up year" for the local market.

10. Pietro

Pietro LawnSite Senior Member

Why complain about people who are uninsured and do crappy work? I wish there were more of em around here. I have one neighborhood where we do 45 lawns in, we charge $25 per cut (about 1/4 an acre).....there is a "One man Show" with the depot equipment, and he did 9 lawns there. He did a crappy job and was not insured......his clients dropped him and hired us. Ive spoken to him before, and hes a real nice guy, but crappy work will not keep customers happy.......so thats where we come in.....insured, legit and great quality. So let those guys do business the way they want.....you know they wont last so whats the issue? I think when other companies do crappo work, they just make me look THAT much better!