Need to Vent

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jcthorne, Sep 6, 2007.

1. jcthorne

jcthorne LawnSite Member

I had a small problem with a seat switch going out on a mower this week. I had a crew drop off the mower at the local dealer that I purchased the mower from. The mower is a little over 2 years old so I knew the mower was out of warranty. They said no problem they would get it fixed and they would call me when it's done. Well, today it was fixed and I had a crew in the area and told them to go by and pick it up.

Well here's where the problem starts. I was a good 45 mintutes away and they were right around the corner. I told them to go on up there and pick it up. Well, when they got to the dealer he wouldn't give my guys the mower. I call up to the shop and talked to the owner. He said, he wouldn't release the mower until the bill was paid which really pissed me off considering the amount of money I have spent with the dealer in the past and never had any trouble with credit at his shop. I explained to him that I was about 45 mintues out heading to their shop and would really appreciate it if he would let my crew have the mower because it was costing me money for them to sit idle.

Well, long story short......he said no. By then my blood was boiling and I asked him if he really thought i would screw him out of a few bucks. At this point it became obvious that he held a grudge against my company because I had switched brands of mowers and have been almost exclusively buying from another dealer. He then proceeded to tell me he didn't know if I would screw him because I don't send enough business his way anymore.

Well come to find out, the dealer had sent pictures of my blades to a mutual friend in the business laughing about how dull they were when my guys brought the mower in for service. What he didn't realize is that mower had been running for 8 straight hours on an apartment complex before it was dropped off to his shop so I'm sure the blades were dull. Bottome line, sending the pictures was very unprofessional and I don't know what dull blades has to do with him. I just think he was looking for a way to try to piss me off and he did.

Needless to say, this guy will never see any business of mine ever again.

It's also obvious this dealer is hurting for business. He has recently had to move into a much smaller building and virtually carries no inventory. Maybe this guy needs to sit down and think about why his business has gone to sh.t.

2. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

Why didnt you put this guy in his place?

3. ACA L&L

ACA L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

He is your ex dealer for a reason. Theres no way i would of let that piece of work get away with that crap. your name is your bizness, when jerk offs like that start dragging u thru the mudd theres nothing u can do except nip it in the bud, asap! good luck sounds like a real piece of work.

4. jcthorne

jcthorne LawnSite Member

I let him know how I felt but kept it civil. I try to lead by example and didn't want my crew to see me lose my cool.

I have no worries about this scrub dealer dragging me through the mud. My business is flourishing and I'm sure I do much more business than he will ever see. It's also very ironic that the Grasshopper rep was in the building and witnessed the whole ordeal. I'm sure they are very proud that their line of mowers is represented by a complete moron with no people skills.

5. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

It's either Bartlett Small Engines or Harris and Sons in Southaven. Both quality dealers, not scrub dealers.

If you talked to one of the parts guys at Bartlett Small Engines, who is not the owner, and lacks people skills, it can rub you the wrong way.

That company has bent over backwards to help me when in need. Larry is the one to talk too.

There is a parts guy, an employee who works there that rubs me the wrong way.
    This grease wad, You know the guy, short heavy set, childes you when you bring your trimmer in for service or parts, makes snide comments about the grass build up on the trimmer? Worried about keeping the parts counter clean? I often wonder why they keep this guy. Is this the one you are talking about?
    If he were working for me, I'd fire him.

Larry is top notch however.

are you a newbie?

kenny.

6. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

it's not bse... he said the dealer just moved into a smaller building. i know bse has been on hwy 70 for decades... sounds like some Kalb crap to me... he's the one that i got into a serious pissing match with about the spindles on my old lazer and one of the prime reasons i will never own another exmark once i get this metro running and sold.

7. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

im in CT so i dont care, but id certainly be giving out the bad dealers name so others know to steer clear of him. a while ago i had a thread "great dealer in CT" and spoke highly of a dealer going out of there way for me, taking parts off new machines, getting my machines back same day, etc. i also listed a few very disappointing dealers that were horrible. one told me my saw i had in to be tuned was shot due to straight gas and they would give me $25 for it as parts, after 15mins cleaning its been going strong for 5 years. another could not get my brand new trimmer to run right after 2 month and every time i dropped it off they told me 2 weeks!