Need to water a tree planting.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jcom, Apr 2, 2008.

1. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

We have never watered a tree row or tree planting.

A customer wants to water his tree planting that is approx. 50' x 100'. Four separate rows of trees with different trees in each row. The tree planting will be cultivated.

What are some choices for watering this planting? I can't see how traditional methods would work as the interior would receive a lot less precip. rate than the exterior due to foliage etc..

Thanks,

John

2. drip irrigation....

3. jcom

Thanks for the reply.

I wanted to use drip but how will that work when the area will be cultivated. Anything would have to be buried very deep I would think. It looks like the homeowner will be using a large tiller and also a cultivator which would go down pretty deep.

Or am I missing something when you say drip. When we use drip for a house, the pipe is on top of the ground under landscape fabric and bark or rock or other surface cover.

Thanks for the help.

John:confused:

4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Just like a tree farm, use drip but plan on rolling up the lines when it's time to cultivate. Just pin the lines down enough to keep the wind from blowing them off track. Nursery I worked for had 5 acres of trees in rows with drip lines on each row. Now that got to be a mess keeping track of that many miles of drip tubing!

5. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Second'd. By far the easiest. You CAN bury it deep, should you choose the long road.

"Traditional" methods, by which I suppose you mean rotors or heads of some sort, would be a HUGE waste of water, and Kiril would shun you temporarily, justifiably so.

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I would expect "traditional" methods would be flood irrigation, but he seems to be thinking sprinklers. :nono:

What are the trees being used for? The trees may have different water requirements that a single zoned system may not be able to handle.

There are micro-sprinklers that are designed specifically for irrigating tree crops. Worth looking into.

7. jcom

Thanks for all the help, folks.

It would seem that the bottom line is what I initially thought it would be. A deep drip system would not be feasible. I wanted a remote spigot operated by controller and the homeowner could put out his drip hoses. Much less expensive for him and simpler for us.

I was asking about something I might be missing, and you have all answered that.
    My initial idea would be correct. I can install 1/2" dripline but it would be much more economical and easier to handle if the homeowner provides his own drip hose and he can monitor it from there.

Thanks for the help, fellow irrigators,

John:dancing: