1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need trailer ideas.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowerman90, Mar 6, 2003.

1. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd like to get a new trailer. I work solo. I started out 14 years ago with a 5x10, graduated to a 6x12, then got a 6 1/2 x16. For the type of work I do, hauling 1 ZTR and when doing landscape work no more than 4 yrds of mulch, I believe that a 6x12 is the perfect size for me. Being in this business for a while I've seen all sorts of trailers and designs. What I really want is an "all aluminum" trailer with an alum diamondplate floor but I can't find a dealer in my area (central FL). What I'm planning on doing is having a custom trailer built to my specs with a steel 2x3 frame for strength. Then topping that with a diamondplate deck and 1" sq tube railings aprox 12" high. I feel that this would give me the best of both worlds. Steel frame for strength, the alum deck to save weight and lonegevity. Has anyone done anything like this? Any ideas from any of you? Does anyone (here in FL) know of a dealer that sells "all aluminum trailers"?
  2. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

You can buy that al. tread plate in 4x8 sheets but its HIGH!I can get you a price on what we pay for it,and 1" tubing.I work for wrecker co,we build them.
  3. mowerman90

You don't have to tell me. I KNOW it's high. I priced some yesterday at a metal supply depot and was quoated over $400 for two sheets 3x12. I about fell over. I also know that if I find a dealer that sells all aluminum it will probably be over $2500 for a 6x12. Hey, we mow lawns for a living, right! We gotta spend it on something. That's why we make the big bucks! (not!)
  4. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious. Why do you want diamond plate on the floor? I think it would be slicker than snot on a ducks butt it it got wet.
  5. TaussigLawnCare

TaussigLawnCare LawnSite Member

does anyone know where to get designs on trailer attachments I want a water jug holder blower and trimmer holders and anything else to keep my equipment from rolling around in the back of my trucks and so I can lock them up so nothing else will get stolen
  6. mowerman90

Actually, it's no more slick than a wood deck. So they tell me. (???) I guess I'll find out. If it is too slick I'll paint the area that the mower sits with a rubberized paint that they sell to line truck beds with.
  7. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

Is there any reason you don't want to go with an enclosed trailer? They seem to be the real hot setup these days. Theres a company around here that makes aluminum trailers...open & enclosed.

8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

4 X 8 aluminum tread plate runs about $150 around here.

9. mowerman90

I unload all my equipment every night and store it in my garage. I like working from an open trailer. And last but not least, it's a lot easier to haul bulk mulch in. (LOL)
  10. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

I haul the same things you do and my 6x12' open wood plank trailer works find. Dont waste your money on fancey items you dont need. To replace my floor would cost less than $70.00.

My opinion, as I see no real advantage to what your trying to make.

I dont think the aluminum is going to be much lighter- if any than the wood planks.