Need trimmer rack for round top rail

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Pristine Lawn Care, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Pristine Lawn Care

Pristine Lawn Care LawnSite Member

My trailer has a round top rail and I am having a hard time finding trimmer racks and gate assist. Any help would be great. I thought about making my own. Any ideas? Thanks

2. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

My last trailer was a round top rail. I use Trimmer Trap trimmer racks. I just mounted them to the vertical supports of the top rail. And I actually built my gate assists inside the top tube.

3. PearceLawn

PearceLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have the tube as well and never thought of putting the gate assist inside the tube. Is there any chance you could put a picture on here of the job you did.

I also mounted my trimmer trap trimmer racks on the verticals.

That is a great idea, putting them inside!!

Thanks in advance.

4. LawnScapers of Dayton

Male, from Dayton, OH

I no longer have that trailer. But I believe that I posted some pics on here at some point. Basically I drilled a hole vertically through the rail for a 3/8" grade 8 bolt, and ran that through the one end of the spring. At the gate end I drilled horizontally, and used a wheel from a pulley for the cable to run over. I put some spacers on either side of the wheel to keep it in the middle of the bolt. The rest was standard design...

D

5. Pristine Lawn Care

Pristine Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Great ideas thanks alot. As far as mounting to the top rail sticks out farther than the vetical supports? Did you have to manipulate the racks to get them on? Thanks again.

6. LawnScapers of Dayton

Male, from Dayton, OH

Mine didn't, but on my new trailer I had to cut some treated wood to "shim" out the racks around the top rail.

7. ncls

ncls LawnSite Senior Member

Just have a piece of flat stock welded to the top rail.

8. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

The new green touch racks www.trailerracks.com are better then ANYTHING on the market guarenteed. I would weld them on to the round top railers. Visit the trailer racks forum for pics and vids.

Cheers
    Jeff