1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need Truck Tire Advice

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by thepawnshop, May 4, 2006.

1. thepawnshop

thepawnshop LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 2004 Chevy 3500 dually and I need to replace the "General" brand tires that came with the truck. They are pretty crappy tires...didn't last 20,000 miles.

Cost is not a factor, I just want quality tires. Any suggestions?
  2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Hey Doug,

My dad just got some Kumho A/T's for his F350 and they are one hell of a tire. I was skeptical of a Korean made tire at first, but they are aggressive and the casing is really beefy. It's hard to say what the lifespan will be, he's only had them about 5,000 miles, but I'm willing to be they'll go 40-50K miles easily. I had some BFG All Terrain T/A's on my 2500, but they look really goofy on a dually. Nonetheless, they're a real mud slinger and if traction is an issue, they'll get you through. They do have a little road whine but nothing a good exhaust can't cover up :drinkup:

When you gonna get a 12 ton machine? C'mon man, step it up! :cool2:
  3. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo!
  4. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

you cant go wrong with goodyear. go to a goodyear dealer, tell them what you're doing, they'll set you up with the correct tires.
  5. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

I have Cooper Discoverers and love them.
  6. PJDiesel

PJDiesel LawnSite Member

Michelin MTX. I had 72K on my OEM set on a Dodge Diesel.
  7. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The Michelin LTX M/S is good for all highway driving. If your looking for a commercial rated tire then you need to look at Michelin XPS Traction or Rib, Toyo M-55 or M-54, Bridgestone V-Steel VSX or Yokohoma.

If your truck has the 225/75R16s up grade them to 235/85R16s you will gain more tire height and they are easier to get.
  8. thepawnshop

Keep on rubbin it in, Scag! I am kicking myself in the *ss for not taking that 160 that the boom broke on. Another of my buddies bought it and friggen loves it! After they did the boom repair it's as good as new.

Buying the telehandler put me out of the big excavtor mode till next year. Sad thing is, now I need to rent a 15 ton machine and I am having to wait becsue the machine wont be back in from rent till next week!

Have fun on your new toy, buddy!
  9. thepawnshop

Went to the Michelin site and put in my make and model of vehicle and here is the repsonse:

Your vehicle: 2004 CHEVROLET Silverado K3500 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box (GVWR 11400)
    Your vehicle's original equipment tire size: LT215/85R16/E
    We're sorry. There are no tire matches for your vehicle.

Hmmmm...I was really liking the LTX M/S too....
  10. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member