Need Veteran Help

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Husky03, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

Hi, this is my first post here on the boards and I need some help. Be prepared to read a lot. I appreciate any/all help that I get. I am 15 years old. I got started in lawn mowing 2 years ago, this is my second year. Last year I had 3 lawns weekly and I had some people who called me occasionally. This year I have 5 regulares and about 4 people that call me every once in a while. I started out this season by passing out around 800 flyers. I tryed to make my flyers as professional as possible without breaking my budget. On the flyers I have my name with my phone number and email and the services I provide. They include: mowing, trimming, gutter cleaning, yard clean up, etc. I also stated on the flyers I give free estimates and I am able to provide fast service because I live in the area. I have passed these flyers out to anywhere from lower to upper class/rich neighborhoods. I hang them on doors since I found out I am breaking a federal law by touching peoples mail boxes to solicitate. I just purchased all new equipment because my stuff I used last year got stolen early this year while in the back yard of a mowing. My equipment includes a John Deere 21" Edge cutter that is self propelled and has front castor wheels, an MTD 21" mower for back up, 2 Husqvarna 123L weedwhackers, and a Husqvarna 145bt Back pack blower. I purchased all of this with money I had put back. I also have a trailor that I purchased becasue I got a good deal on it. I plan to use it when I get a walk behind mower. I have all of this stuff and I do not even have a car. My mom helps me out on my larger yards and takes me to all of my mowings. I am currently in the process of trying to find some smaller commercial properties to mow for, but I do not know how to go about finding them. I am saving every dime I make to purchase a walk behind mower for the larger yards, but it is very difficult for me to make this much money at my age. What are the best ways for me to advertise at my age? Is it best for me to just stick with residential lawns at this time since I am only 15 and I do not have insurance Etc? I have had many people turn me down when I go to give them estimates because they find out I am only a kid. This mainly happpens at the larger upper class homes with well maintained yards. Even though I am positive I can just as good a job if not better as any mowing crew. I plan on doing this the rest of the way through high school and I am seriously considering doing this after school as a profession because I enjoy doing it. PLEASE give me any info you can on advertising, schooling, equipment, or whatever you think I am missing. What is a good walk behind lawn mower to get me started and ready for much larger lawns. I greatly appreciate any help you guys can offer.

2. EZTarget

EZTarget LawnSite Senior Member

i have just one question.

why the hell do you have that link listed in your profile? especially when you are "15".
  3. Husky03

I swear I have no idea how that got there. It should be deleted now. I am sorry if that offended anyone, but I did not put it there.
  4. Husky03

I have went to edit profile and taken it out and then hit submit modifications and it will not go away.
  5. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

i'll remove it...
  6. Husky03

Alright, one of us has succesfully removed it. Thank you for your help Camland. I hope you guys do not think I am some kind of a pervert, I did not link that. Now if you guys have any advice that would be great.