Need Walk Behind Help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Chuck Sinclair, Jul 2, 2001.

1. Chuck Sinclair

Chuck Sinclair LawnSite Senior Member

Hello All,

Tuesday I am getting a Toro Proline WB either a 32" or 36" and I have a few questions.

1)Should I get a 32" or a 36" and why?

2)Fixed deck or floating :confused: not sure of the advantage of either and why

3)Kaw or Briggs engine

4)Sulky or no sulky and if yes what kind. :blob3:

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

All of these questions have been answered in detail many times now. There is a search button at the top of every page.

3. Chuck Sinclair

Richard,

I did a search and guess what it did not help is showed mower recomendations (I think i will go with the Toro 32")but did not answer the deck question like what is the advantage of a floating deck? if any.

Is a sulky recomended if so what kind.

4. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Most 36" mowers can get through gates but a 32" will get through more. I would go with a 36" if you have few gates or mesure and see if the 36" can get through. I would go with the engine that has more power. You proabbly want to have at least 14 horspower for your engine so it could pull you with a sulky. Any sulky is better then none, I think. I would look into the Pro-slide that makes a nice stripe somtimes. Or I would go with a 2 wheel velke rather then a 1 wheel. There won't be that wheel mark in the center of your cut. I also would go with the floating deck. Floating decks prevent scalping. Some guys say if your using a 32" or 36" you don't need the floating deck. But I would say get it I have a 36" floating deck, I still scalp somtimes. Hope this helps.

5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

At what height do you cut grass? Do you often change the height?

If so, the floating deck is much easier to change heights. Four pins and that's it. Floating decks help in preventing scalping, but with a small deck like a 32 or 36, I don't see scalping to be a problem with either the floating or fixed.

We have both, fixed and floating, and floating is just nicer because of the height adjustment ease.

6. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would go as big as possible. The 36 will go anywhere a 32 will go, just like they said before me. Get as much power as possible if you plan on pulling yourself around on a velkie. I would look into a hydro also if you plan on a velkie. You'll thank me on a wet morning when you would be pushing a belt driven WB. I don't think scalping is a problem either on a 36, so just like Jodi said its the ease of heighth adjustment.

7. shorty7616

shorty7616 LawnSite Member

Currently I have a 36" exmark metro with a 13 h.p. Kawasaki. I have mostly gated lawns and the mower fits through all of mine except two. If i had the 32" it would fit, but its just for two and i can push mow them in 5 min as it is. If i were to buy the same mower again I would definatley get the floating deck. I don't scalp often, but the quality of cut is a little better. Definately get the Kaw engine, no doubt about it. If you havent used a walk behind before, i would definately wait to get used to it before I bought one. Hope this helps

8. Chuck Sinclair

Thank you guys for all your help, i ended up with a 32" eXmark metro Fixed deck 11hp Briggs engine instead of a toro. I kept hearing eXmark is the best and of course the dealer said so too i had to go with the 32" due to price $2554.00 out the door.
    :p

9. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

What is the area that you are mowing? Neither of those decks would be very productive in my opinion, unless you are using it for getting through gates etc.
    If it is not used a great deal, I probably wouldn't spend the extra bucks on the floating deck. Those smaller decks aren't too bad on the turf (scalping).
    If it is a front line mower, I would consider the floating deck with a Kawasaki engine. Just my opinion however.
    Bill Craig:cool:

10. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

hey i dont remember who posted this but i was in a similar situation last year i looked at both toro and exmark and wanted a 32 or 36 the floating deck toro was over 3000 with the bag so i said forget it. i went with the 36 toro with the tbar and 12.5 kaw sorry to rock your boat but i paid little less than you with the cloth bag. a guy i help out has a exmark 32 with a 9 brigs, it is 5 years old and has about 1400 hours on it, thing starts first pull evry time and never stalls atall great machine u got there tho have fun with it