1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Need water main help!

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Qualey, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Qualey

Qualey LawnSite Member

I'm renovating an old 50000sf concrete plant and need to move the water main's entrance in the building to an area that is heated. In a nutshell this building has been added onto several times since the 50s and the main has been built over. We know where it goes under the front of the building (per survey map, city plans and divining sticks) and know where it comes up inside. The area it runs under is a 65'x210' warehouse. I've dug 2 4'x4' holes where we were told to look and nothing (went down nearly 10'). I also dug a trench down the length of the 65' side which should run perpendicular to the main. This is getting old and there has to be a better way. We did try energizing the pipe and scanning the floor (hence the 2 4'x4' holes), but are getting false readings.

Surely someone else has dealt with this before. I'm really on a wild goose chase here and taking up a lot of concrete. ANY suggestions at this point are welcome.

Matt

2. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

3. AEL

AEL LawnSite Bronze Member

is chasing the pipe a job extra? if so id just keep searching!

4. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Unhook the pipe at the meter and send a sonde down it.

5. Qualey

Qualey LawnSite Member

"Unhook the pipe at the meter and send a sonde down it."

That's exactly what I thought we could do at day one, but have been unable to find someone to do it. Would large plumbing outfits have this or supply houses? Its basically a transceiver that follows the pipe, correct?

Unfortunately I own the building so the cost is on me. What you say makes sense KSSS, except I'd have to demolish showroom flooring to locate the infeed plus the fact that the site has a VRAP stipulation and would prefer to avoid exrterior digging if at all possible.

Thanks for the help!
    Matt

6. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I'm down in Portland and I know the plumbing company Richard P Waltz (http://www.richardpwaltz.com/plumbing.html) does but not sure if they will go to bangor. Also try call EJP Plumbing (everett J prescot) http://www.ejprescott.com/locations.php, looks like they have a place in Bangor, they won't do it but they sell equipment and supplies so might know someone who does do it.

Worth a try but not sure but Ted Berry Construction (http://www.tedberrycompany.com/) they do a lot of cleaning and inspection and location of water and sewer.

Worse case I'll come dig around for you!

Good luck.

7. Qualey

Qualey LawnSite Member

Neuswede

EJP is the company that energized the pipe to try to detect the signal and trace its course and depth. So far 0 for 2 which really has them baffled. I'll ask them if they can recommend someone with a Sonde. If this is a scope, I'm just wondering if its long enough given the buildings length.

Matt

8. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Good company to deal with. Do you know how big the main is? Is it active or not? Try ted berry he does a lot of work for municplaities and would pretty sure would have the proper equipment or know who would. Might be able to get a private party locate service there are a couple around here like Dig ME.

Also thinking off prior experiences of mine how sure are you that it really goes under that floor and doesn't snake around the building or go some totally random line?

9. curtisfarmer

curtisfarmer LawnSite Senior Member

Ground penetrating radar........that 1 picture may be worth it. Who knows what is down there, where it is, or other unknowns. I have seen towns around here use it for cemetery layouts and as builts. But, I don't know where to get one:cry:

10. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

A sonde is a transmitter that you send down the pipe and locate it with a reciever.

How did they hook to the pipe?