Need website advice

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by landscaper22, May 17, 2008.

1. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

So, I have been thinking of getting a site for my business. Is there any real advantage to having someone create my website from scratch for several hundred dollars vs. just using someone like godady to host it for a few dollars per month? Well, I realize some will say that with godaddy or however you use one of their templates. But my thoughts are it is a lawn care business. Only current customers and potential customers in my area even care to look at the site. So, if some other LCO across the country has the same template, who cares? But, other than that is there any real problems or any other reason not to use one of those hosting services for $10 per month or less?
  2. Turf Troll

Turf Troll LawnSite Member

If I was only going to do 1 website I would do it with Yahoo. Everything will be easier for you to do they have decent tutorials and instructions.
  3. TLClandscaping

TLClandscaping LawnSite Member

I am working on mine now, I build with Dreamweaver mx and Flash 8 pro. You can do some really cool designs with it. It is a little advanced for most people but if you want something good and helpful to whomever sees it, get it. I wouldnt use any other program.
  4. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

I think Yahoo seems to have a good plan. Turf Troll, do you use them? Or does anyone else? Has anyone tried using vistaprint's new web service? It seems decent too.
  5. TLClandscaping

TLClandscaping LawnSite Member

godaddy is good for hosting, I would/am going to use them and publish/build my own site.
  6. Turf Troll

Turf Troll LawnSite Member

I built my first site with their plan, I am talking to someone now to make some graphics for me for it, I am going around this summer and take pictures of past jobs to put up also.

Bill S. has some nice sites with yahoo for his business,

If your not looking to get into building a website

I'll host your site for $7 a month,
    I''l put a 5-7 page site up for you for $100, if you have pictures or a logo if you can email them to me I'll put them on it,
    you can set it up to take some credit cards like visa and master card,

I hire people to make graphics for me like a banner across the top or on the bottom of the page they go $30 to $50 depending, I saw someone here who was doing graphics not to long ago but I couldn't find him again

the most important part of a website is the work to get it at the top on all the search engines, the more populated your area the more business you will get off a website,
    if you have some competition in your area you can do it over 3 to 4 months figure to spend $200 to $400 over that time and $20 to $30 a month on going to keep it there,
    a little competition a couple of weeks and maybe a total of $100-200,

You can make life easy and follow examples of steps that work quickly or you can set your website up and it will make the work harder to get your site where you want it,

If someone does a search for my main "landscaping town" 7 out of 10 results on the first page of a Google search will have my phone number on them, it's all about getting links,
  7. Bill S

Bill S LawnSite Member

Nothing better than dominating a front page! I often vary between 3 to 5 results on the first page with typically a couple more on page 2!

The way I look at it, the more that I have the less my competition does
  8. jaredslawnserv

jaredslawnserv LawnSite Member

9. KevinACrider

KevinACrider LawnSite Member

I've been with GoDaddy for years. They are top notch.
  10. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

what can i do to make my site come up in the search engines better?