1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need weed id help

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by spartan green, May 12, 2004.

1. spartan green

spartan green LawnSite Member

I was wondering if anybody could id this weed for me? I have spent a while trying to id it but to no avail. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

It's a broadleaf .
    Why do you want to know ?
  3. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

is the stem square or round. If it is square it is henbit. It is hard to tell from that pic.
  4. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

i would also guess that its henbit, picture id is not always easy. gently roll the stem between your fingers, henbit will be square and you will feel the corners as you roll it.
  5. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

If its henbit, you may also see small blue or purple flowers. From the picture, that would be my ID.
  6. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

ID it yourself at UIUC's Weed Identification Key. There are ID keys for most things found in nature: grasses, broadleaf weeds, insects, diseases, etc. Will probably turn out to be a henbit or a type of speedwell.
  7. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

I need a better picture with something placed next to it for scale but it looks like possibly corn speedwell. Hard to control but summer heat sends it packing.
  8. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

9. spartan green

Thanks for the replies so far. I have attached another picture for scale reference. I think I have it narrowed down to some sort of speedwell? I don't think it is Henbit as I don't remember the flowers looking that way and the stem is not square.

10. spartan green

And another of it amongst the grass.

copy 2 pict0868.jpg