Need weed wiping help

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Bayoutrees, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Bayoutrees

Bayoutrees LawnSite Member

I have a location where high wind makes spraying herbicide next to impossible. I need to treat rows that are approximately 2 feet x 300 feet. I've found various weed wipers that are either to narrow (3"-4" up to 10") or too wide (3 feet and up). I cannot find anything that can be pushed or pulled that wipes a 2 foot wide area.

I know there is something out there that I can rig to do this job. I just can't come up with it! Thought about spraying a 2' wide piece of carpet and pulling it down the rows. But keeping the right "wetness" to the carpet seems like it would be a problem. There's got to be something better.

Anybody got a suggestion?
  2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

The Chemlawn spray gun using the white nozzle (4 gpm) at low pressure can work in most wind conditions. Droplets are very large and heavy--wind resistant. Use about 50 pounds pressure and deliver about 2 gallons per minute. Cover about 1000 sqft per minute.
  3. Bayoutrees

Bayoutrees LawnSite Member

There are young trees along both sides of the 2 foot strip. Even with the spray rigged as you suggest, still worried about getting roundup or gramoxin on the young tree bark. Damage to the tree bark will not show up for a couple of years.
  4. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

You may have to adapt a skid technique here--may even have to make it--build from PVC a rake like apparatus attached to your tank. Then from you apparatus attach short (8-12") of flexible hose that will drag on the ground to apply your chems about 4-6" apart. The dragging will put the chem right on the ground rather than making it airborn. I've seen these use in HUGE Veg Productions places, but those fields were about 1000 acres or more. Think about it