need welding help, search did not help me

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.lawnsite.com/buttons/jump.php?i' started by lawnagent, Feb 18, 2003.

1. lawnagent

lawnagent LawnSite Senior Member

Alan, I just saw your post, did not notify me by e-mail that I had another response for some reason. I just finished using a SMALL handheld torch on it to burn off the excess oil and roughed the metal around it up a little with my Dremel. Then I applied an epoxy rated at 400 degrees. I hope I didnt screw up but have found several in our local ATV club that has used it with good results. it is almost a hairline fracture so maybe Ill get lucky. If not Ill come see you. I will call this weekend regardless. Thanks for the info. I wish Id read sooner!:D
    Robert Williams
    270-276-5761
    www.greenscapelawn.com

2. ABM

ABM LawnSite Member

I have used the JB weld method in the past to repair a hole on a Kawasaki Ninja crankcase from laying it down. Worked great, still holding after four years. I cleaned the area, heated it to remove oil residue, applied product and let set, filed and sanded to finish. You cant even tell where it was after touching up with black paint. I don't know if I would trust it on a area under combustion pressure but for my application it saved a lot of labor and aggrevation.

3. lawnagent

lawnagent LawnSite Senior Member

Well Its been a week now since i sealed up the engine casing with quick steel metal epoxy. We rode the living daylights out of it Friday Sat and Sun. It has held to perfection so far!