Need wiring assistance on Bobcat Walkbehind

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by hdtvluvr, Aug 24, 2014.

1. hdtvluvr

hdtvluvr LawnSite Senior Member

Model 930300
    14 HP Kohler

This is a very old mower that I purchased used a few years ago. I am wanting to modify the starter circuit and add a secondary relay to power the starter solenoid. I have attached the Bobcat schematic, a photo of the solenoid and an image of the desired circuit. The desired circuit shows one wire from the switch and only one wire connection to the solenoid but I have 2 wires from the switch.

Any help is appreciated.

Bobcat Schematic.jpg

Relay circuit.jpg

Solenoid.png

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Choose which ever wire that's activated in the start position and hook it to your relay/solenoid, Leave the other wire hanging..... You won't need it the way your wiring......

3. hdtvluvr

Sorry, I posted the incorrect new schematic. The old wiring had both wires (Black and Yellow shown in the Harness Solenoid section of the above schematic) connected to the small posts on the solenoid. I want to add the new relay to reduce the current in the switch circuit.

How should I wire it now? I assumed power traveled down the yellow and the black was grounded back at the switch thus completing the circuit and activating the solenoid. But I just can't seem to fathom how to wire in the new relay in order to activate the solenoid with lower amperage.

Would I connect the yellow to 86 on the relay, the black to the ground side of the solenoid?

Relay Circuit.jpg

4. hdtvluvr

Here's the schematic in a pdf so it can be viewed larger.

Further looking at everything, I think the yellow should go to 86 on the relay and the black should be the relay ground. This would provide the least amperage through the relay and the switch circuit. The Solenoid should then be grounded to the frame.

Is this correct?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  5. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Bronze Member

So your mower already has a solenoid, and you want to add that small relay to the start side?
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. hdtvluvr

Yes. The little relay will draw less current though the switch circuit.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. dieselss

The current draw through the factory started solenoid is what?
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. hdtvluvr

Well I'm not sure but it was enough to melt (and blow) the fuse. I've never seen a fuse melted before.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. dieselss

Then something else is wrong
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

The hookup in yer post#3 is the right way to wire in an aux. starter relay to eliminate sluggish start solenoids etc.
    The yellow wire, got no idea, since yer Bobcat "schematic" is only a harness connection diagram.