1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

need work!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cjcland, Mar 29, 2000.

1. cjcland

cjcland LawnSite Senior Member

how can i get some more work fast i read pot with people getting a huge ampount of work real quick i need about 20 more accounts to fill my schedule please help any advice would be greatly apreciated<p>----------<br>CJC Landscape Management<br>Winter Haven, Florida
  2. TPC

TPC LawnSite Member
    from florida

Yeah that makes two of us,I spend most of my time on here.I would like to know what you guys feel is the best advertisments are to land jobs,,during summer i pick jobs up all the time but its still slow even though i'm cutting most all accounts every week,Thanks<p>Tim,<br>CCLC
  3. Hello:<p>The best & quickest advertising is Fliers & Newspaper.<p>Take the fliers & target the areas you are working in now or target areas that you want to work! <p>You might take some of your fliers & business cards & drop them by your local real estate offices, they all the time need work.<p>If you got plenty of time on your hands try going after clean ups, there is good money in clean ups. If any doubts on pricing go a little on the high side. After a few you will be able to come real close.<p>I always liked clean ups, very good money & lots of times the customer, a nearby neighbor or drive by will want work also.<p>Target commercial & residential places that look like hell. LOL If they look bad they are telling you they need someone.<p>Any work beats not having any work at all. It cost a lot of money staying at home or riding around with nothing to do? <p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/
  4. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

TPC writes:<p>Yeah that makes two of us,I spend most of my time on here.<p>Maybe herein lies the problem. Fire up the ol word processor program and whip up a flyer or two you can distribute door to door in neighborhoods you'd like to increase business in. Get yer butt out to the business/industrial district with your trusty measuring wheel and whip up some cold quotes you can present to the property managers. <p>I dont mean to sound like a hardass but it aint gonna happen sitting there reading this forum, you first need to get out and present some proposals before anyone can accept any of them.<p>Spring has sprung, Id bet that within the next two weeks all the plum jobs will have been bid and taken, all that will be left are the no-payers and the rock-filled drainage ditches.<p>Bill
  5. a plus

a plus LawnSite Member

leave a add in the paper all year and as the weekend waryours get to hot and need to stay in the ac or get tired there customers will call. As they do every year and need some one to cut there grass
  6. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Ya its too early in the year to panic. Just wait til it gets hot
  7. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

If you really have a good amount of your week left open, like 2 or 3 days, maybe working part time somewhere else would be a good idea.<p>By me, every landscaper out there is looking for help. Its real easy to get a part time job helping someone else out. They are usually very flexible, and for them to have someone who is experienced and knows what there doing helping them out, even if it is only 2 days a week, is a great benefit. <p>Also, its good business. You can really build a good relation with another company this way, which goes a long way these days. If you do maintenance only, maybe working for a installation company would be a great experience. You usually get to learn a lot about things you may not have known before, and on top of it get paid while doing it.<p>I work full time, but do all my work after work (only work 6-2) and on the weekends. This winter I lined up enough work to easily keep me busy for the next 3 months. I'm still getting tons of calls too, and have to start being selective as to what jobs I want. <p>I did a walk for a contractor last year, and now he wants to sub-out all his construction work. He just likes to mow. Just an example of what happens.<p>I plan on keeping my full time job for a long time, if not indefinely myself. I love it. But the side work is always there, and its nice knowing that if something happens at work that I can easily fall into my side work full time.<p>steveair
  8. jcoat

jcoat LawnSite Member

As far as cleanup prices, how do you guys price compared to regular lawn maintenance schedules? Is it @ $30-35/hr structure for profit (like maintenance) or do you lower the price somewhat since the job will take longer?
  9. cjcland

cjcland LawnSite Senior Member

on clean-up i usually bid what i would charge to cut x 4 it usually works out pretty good, as far as working for someone else, no way! lol i would rather spend the time im not mowing pounding the pavement thanks for the input though i spent 10 years working for someone else i work for cjc landscape management now and i love it, im going to drive around some of the neighbor hoods i want to be in and place some more flyers i am also going to take out an add in the neighboring towns news paper (20 minute drive) thank you all for the help, i love this forum<p>----------<br>CJC Landscape Management<br>Winter Haven, Florida
  10. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm sorry,<p>I really should of said this.<p>Maybe you can work &quot;WITH&quot; someone else.<p>That is the term I like to use these days. <p>When you work &quot;for&quot; someone else, your right, it sucks 99% of the time. I am very lucky to have found a job that is very self oriented, in that it allows me to do a lot of the things I want to do and also earn what I want to earn. What it lacks in freedom, it makes up in time to give me the freedom to do my own thing. I am very fortunate. <p>Not that its impossible, but I can't see being only 26 years old and being able to purchase $40,000 arm mowers in cash for my company on my own in my near future. When the day comes though, which I am shooting for, I will know exactly what to do. <p>It's so nice to work for a company that thinks of you as a &quot;person&quot; instead of just a &quot;employee&quot;<p>steveair<p><p>